Good NAS

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
whatboy

Post by whatboy »

What's a good NAS under $400 bucks... I bought a Netgear Stora, but it is useless...
krisw

Post by krisw »

What kind of feature set are you after? Do you need GbE connectivity? Do you need some form of data redundancy (RAID)? Do you need a certain capacity?

There is a fairly good overview of a bunch of NAS devices here. I read another round-up article too recently, but I'm having trouble remembering where... I'm not on the machine I read it on, so can't view my history!

I had a Maxtor Shared Storage NAS a while back, but I didn't really get on with it as it was a bit to proprietary for my liking. These days I have a file server set-up as it's much more flexible, and there aren't many all-in-one NAS boxes that can hold a 6TB RAID5 array ;)
Secutor

FreeNAS is an excellent NAS

Post by Secutor »

http://freenas.org/
It's free, robust, scalable, and easy to install and configure.
An older PC will work fine. RAID is easily accomplished with FreeNAS.
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

I've got a netgear ReadyNas Duo, it's very good. Automatic raid if you put two disks in, gbit, cheap. Onboard software very much dedicated to automatic backups, but ofc you can open up a share and just use as a nfs/samba mount.