jZMConsole V0.2B Available

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
ahagadorn

jZMConsole V0.2B Available

Post by ahagadorn »

The new release of jZMConsole is finally available on Sourceforge, https://sourceforge.net/projects/jzmconsole/

This version is pretty much a rewrite of V0.1. Some of the features are:
  • 1. Cycle view with buttons to change current view and cycle pause/resume
    2. 1 - 6 column montage view
    3. Each window can be individually paused
    4. Views can be resized up to full screen, and views will automatically zoom
    5. Near real time new event notification with sound alert, event count display update and color change (within 5 seconds of new event)
    6. Event view with full event information and ability to single frame, pause, rewind events.
    7. Ability to delete events
    8. Ability to save events locally as Quicktime movies
    9. Limited PTZ/Preset support with no extra client setup.
    10. Easy installation - New Windows installer installs everything needed for the client to run on Windows, including JRE and JMF
There are many other enhancements too numerous to mention here. The app is very stable, and is becoming very useful in my opinion. There are updated screen shots on Sourceforge.

Note that the windows installer was built with a trial version of the packaging software, and it will say so when you install it. I am evaluating installers (good ones are expensive) and will choose one to purchase soon. You can ignore these popups.

You can manually remove V0.1B if you installed it. V0.2B can be uninstalled on Windows in the normal Control Panel uninstall.

The server side install is also cleaner. It gets virtually all of it's config information from your current ZM installation, so if you follow the default install, there is only one line to edit in the server side config file.

Be sure to read the included INSTALL files, as the setup procedure has changed considerably from V0.1B.

I have not yet tested the Linux client, so it is not included in the current release on Sourceforge.

Please let me know in this thread if you have any difficulties installing it.

Thanks for your support!

Andy
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

I just discovered an issue where the jZMConsole client will not work properly with Java 1.6 Update 13 (the latest release).

Please use Java 1.6 update 11 or lower until I figure out a resolution. I should have it worked out today.

Update 11 is still available at http://java.sun.com/products/archive/j2 ... index.html

Andy
wilso027

Post by wilso027 »

Thanks for all the work on this. I just tried to install the Beta client for the first time. I installed the latest version of java before reading your second post and if anyone else does the same you can fix this by going to java in the control panel and the java tab and unchecking the latest version. Make sure to install the correct version first.

I am having a problem though. I get logged in fine but all of my windows are coming up with only the recording method in them. I am sure it is a path problem but not sure where to start. Any pointers on where to look. Thanks again.
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

The symptom you describe is exactly what happens when JRE 1.6 Update 13 is used - all you see is a small portion of the toolbar in the upper left hand corner of each monitor display.

Unchecking the latest version in the control panel only applies to applets, which are started via a web browser - apparently it does not apply to Java applications.

If you uninstall Update 13, jZMConsole should work, however I almost have the workaround completed if you want to wait.

You can always reinstall Update 13 at any time.

Andy
wilso027

Post by wilso027 »

Thanks for the quick update. I will wait and check out the fix for you. Thanks for all your work that was exactly what I was seeing.
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

Ok, I have version 0.2.1B up on SourceForge which fixes the JRE V1.6 Update 13 problem. It should work fine with future JRE releases.

Also The Linux client is included!

Please let me know if you can now run it properly with JRE V1.6 Update 13, and if anyone gets it working on Linux.

Thanks!

Andy
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

I tried to implement your software in my Live DVD. The problem I ran into was installing some of the JAVA requirements in Kubuntu. I'll give it a shot again but I stopped at the moment since it was delaying me from uploading my new build. I'm interested in trying it, just haven't got it working just yet.
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

Let me know if you need any help.
newvisionantenna

I have a KVM build sitting on my VPS. I would love to try out both the server and client for Linux. If I could get it all working I would put it into my DVD. I can open any ports needed if you want to try to install it. Just let me know what ports you need and I'll pm you the login details.
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

I'd be happy to do it, but the install is really super simple.

Both the JMF and the JRE can be installed on any box if you are having trouble with that, and the directories they create can be copied over - neither install does anything besides install the files, there are no environment mods or anything.

Otherwise, send me a PM with the details for SSH login, and I will do it for you.

Andy
newvisionantenna

JMS was the show stopper for me. I did it exactly as the SUN website said to do it and it failed to install. I found the error with google and it looked as if other people trying to use it on Ubuntu had the same problem. Maybe you will have better luck :)

I have to head out but I'll PM you ssh details now.
coke

URL

Post by coke »

Is it just me, or does one need to remove the "s" from "https" to actually get to the project page? Otherwise it redirects to sourceforge.net. Likely different if one's logged into sourceforge.
coke

ubuntu 8.0.4

Post by coke »

I seem to have a JRE, though it ends in a 7 instead of a 13, but the rest of the version seems to be the same. JMF, on the other hand, refuses to install.

Non root gets various errors. Running under sudo, it executes, but doesn't appear to do anything.

Edit:
Ok, got JMF installed. Had to redownload the package, somehow my previous attempt converted it to a 0 byte file. The trick to installing JMF on ubuntu is to first copy it from blah.bin to blah.zip, then unzip blah.zip. Theoretically you're supposed to be able to execute the .bin then, but mine still has errors. However, moving the bin and lib directories into /usr/local/jmf seems to have worked so far.

Another edit:
Got that done, installed the server, changed the paths to what seemed appropriate, got the following, with nothing showing up in the view window.

Code: Select all

$ jzmconsole
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException
	at net.securitykit.jzmconsole.ZMConsole.updateAll(ZMConsole.java:907)
	at net.securitykit.jzmconsole.ZMConsole.access$1500(ZMConsole.java:22)
	at net.securitykit.jzmconsole.ZMConsole$UpdateAll.run(ZMConsole.java:945)
	at net.securitykit.jzmconsole.ZMConsole.main(ZMConsole.java:981)
[Fatal Error] :456:43: The reference to entity "monitor" must end with the ';' delimiter.
[Fatal Error] :456:43: The reference to entity "monitor" must end with the ';' delimiter.
Montage Width: 1021
cmadmin@bigbrother:~$ jzmconsole
Montage Width: 1021
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

The first NullPointer error can be ignored, and is fixed in the next release.

I will look into the other error, but I suspect that I am not allowing for some specific character in one of your monitor names. Can you post or PM your monitor names for me please?

Thanks.
ahagadorn

Post by ahagadorn »

Do you have an ampersand (&) or other non word character in any of your monitor names?

The problem is in the XML response from the server side. I need to encode the responses to take care of certain characters such as ampersand, apostrophe, etc.

I will see if I can get it done today.

Andy