Low cost IP camera solution

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Hi.

This looks good.

Are the PTZ working as well? I wasn't able to test them.

Regards.
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

The PTZ works with the Orbit, but I didn't set the correct port. I had it on before but I figured it might not be a good idea to allow it's usage on my backyard with the neighbors around :)
newvisionantenna

Ok,

Worked on this as soon as I got back. I'm now building complete surveillance cam routers. I can run the program "motion" on a PCI router that has a 400mhz processor. I've build a custom Openwrt firmware from SVN that contains tons of usb support. It has the LuCi interface and can operate as a fully featured router if desired.

Right now I have it running motion with the Orbit AF and outputting a stream that is being picked up by my Zoneminder demo. I can get around 6fps with little to no cpu usage on the router along with motion detection if desired. The router can use ssmtp to email out alerts on motion detection, it can also wput files out to a remote ftp server if needed or save stuff local on a usb stick. It also interfaces fully with Zoneminder so everything can be done in Zoneminder if desired. The only thing that is lacking is the PTZ from mjpg_streamer. Working on motion PTZ control. Other usb uvc camera's can be used and even IP camera's could be used, although using zoneminder itself would probably make more sense for that.

Take a look here, if it's dark then the lights are probably out here.

67.210.200.98 and login to the Zoneminder section with admin/admin.
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

Just curious why you are using motion instead of mjpeg-streamer?

P.S. Have you ever gotten the "auto-follow" feature in ZM to work with Orbit AF?
newvisionantenna

The only reason I used "motion" on this new router I've got is the fact it had a 400mhz processor and can handle all the featuers motion brings to the table. The router itself can now detect motion, interface with ip camera's as well as usb cam's, can send out emails and ftp pictures out to a remote site, and a bunch of other items. I had to use an SVN version of Openwrt to get everything working to include the Lan ports of the router, so it's fully functional in all aspects. The problem is the mjpg_streamer on this router is coming up with errors. On the other WL500W with the swapped out atheros card can run mjpg_streamer and crazy resolutions no problem with little to no cpu usage but can't really handle motion as good. I figured it would be good to have several types of routers that can do differnet things.

Basically I can now package a complete security system inside a router without even using Zoneminder but the option is still there to pump the Motion feed into Zoneminder. I'm not sure if you looked at the live feed coming from it or the event I recorded while moving it around. If you get a chance watch the event and you'll see i have the option turned on to show and track motion. The older Orbit is also supported with motion and they have created a how to on getting the motion tracking working with it. The features that Motion has is pretty vast but it's lacking the nice GUI that Zoneminder has. This is why I'm prebuilding them with it all setup and also working on a nice GUI for the router that can change the options on the fly.
newvisionantenna

Just another reason to get on board with Wireless and Zoneminder.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009 ... ion=justin

I have several people now running my wireless mesh builder. If anyone is interested in building a mesh network backbone for camera's activate my DVD and I'll be sure to get you up to speed.
newvisionantenna

Ok, finally had some time today and got some very good results. This is for anyone out there that want's to do this.

For 49.99 you can have the ultimate camera platform that will have wireless, hotspot support, openvpn, and mjpg_streamer.

You have to look for it, but here is a page from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/IEEE802-11N-Wirel ... B000YDS0YG

I have the firmware needed that can easily be flashed from the default webgui included with it. After flashing you will have Openwrt and full support of just about everything USB you can think of. I have the Logitech 5000 running on it at 640x480.

If you want it running I will help, but please buy the thing first and we'll go from there. You can have the firmware, I didn't create it, just refined it for my needs.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

what about one of these in a router it would make for a cheap network digitizer

http://www.liantec.com/product/tbm/TBM-1222.htm
mrd

Post by mrd »

Do you happen to know if the USB port of the MZK-W04NU can have 2 devices attached to it with a USB HUB?
MRD
mrd

Post by mrd »

MRD
newvisionantenna

The usb port should have no problems handling a hub. I haven't tried it myself but others I've talked with have multipe devices running on a hub attached to certain openwrt usb type routers.

The only one's I've tested first hand with Openwrt, 2.6 kernel, and usb are the following.

WL500W
ASUS Deluxe
MZK-W04NU

The Asus 520gu is another very cheap router but I haven't tested it myself, so I have no idea what kernel it supports.
mrd

Post by mrd »

OK.. I'm about to purchase one of the routers but I'm thinking that the physical layout of the 520gu is best for me to set my PTZ camera on top of, but I need to USB ports. Which one do you recomend.

Do you have working firmware for that model?

I want to get my network PTZ module working on it.
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12929

It requires some perl libraries (The only one not normally included in a perl install is Devices::Serial):

use strict;
use IO::Socket::INET;
use POSIX qw(setsid);
use Getopt::Long;
use Device::SerialPort;

Thanks,
Michael
MRD
newvisionantenna

I have no knowledge on the 520gu, last time I looked the 2.6 kernel version of openwrt did not work on it. You might get 2.4 but then your losing a log of packages.

I'm about to sell most of my routers as normal equipment since no one has got with me on the 3 I mention. It's a waiste to let them go to someone who is only going to use them as a home router.

If you want one of the one's I mention act fast otherwise they will be gone :(

I highly suggest the MZK-W04NU, it has a 400+mhz processor, pretty much unheard of in a home style router. Plus it already has serial and about a million other modules and packages precompiled after I flashed it.
Sika

Post by Sika »

After following NVA's posts I bought a WL-520gu a couple of weeks ago. Had no joy with the Kamikaze firmware or the svn firmware but got it to work using the firmware and following the tutorial at this site http://wl500g.info/showthread.php?t=13327
Works great, including the PTZ for my Orbit Sphere MF. The two problems with it so far are NO wifi and will only stream pictures 640x480 or higher.
I haven't tried it with ZoneMinder yet as my poor ZM server is already stressed to the max.
I'm going to try strapping a usb hub to it to include usb storage and have it as a portable security camera as detailed in the above link.
newvisionantenna

That's good to hear. They will get the wireless to work one day. It's all in the broadcom driver and not being open source at the moment. Some broadcom support is in the Latest builds but not for the 520gu. That router is dirt cheap and works great for all kinds of applications. If you have enough room install OpenVPN on it and then you can VPN tunnel the Video from anywhere in the world.