Zoneminder install DVD 1.24.x (3/7/2011)

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

For anyone using my DVD, please keep in mind the shared memory settings are at stock settings. Depending on how much memory you machine has, you can adjust settings to get higher resolution then 320x240.

The following done with putty or ssh on my test server with 2gb ram and the Orbit AF cam resulted in 640x480 with no issues at all.

echo 268424446 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmall
echo 268424446 >/proc/sys/kernel/shmmax

To change them permanently you will need to edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the following lines (for example) :-

kernel.shmall = 268424446
kernel.shmmax = 268424446

I have some new updates coming that will really change the way the current DVD works and offer all kinds of new features.

Here is just a few,

*Firmware builder for Wireless Mesh Router Cams
*Web interface for custom shared memory options, like I mention above
*Online hearbeat moniter for ip camera's or router's
*Remote desktop with nxclient, access your desktop from anywhere
*Tweak the update feature I keep talking about, :)
*Presets/control module for Orbit AF cam using remote mjpg_streamer
newvisionantenna

fixed :)
Last edited by newvisionantenna on Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
newvisionantenna

Ignore the last post, I've got everything worked out perfect now. I hope to have a link later today for everyone needing the official 1.24 release with the newest ffmpeg. I've built a complete new DVD with a new desktop, control panel, and all kinds of extras to work along with Zoneminder.

I hate to keep making posts, but I notice people are having a hard time trying to run 1.24. If you really need 1.24 feel free to grab the current dvd with the RC, but you will be better off with with the official 1.24.
Last edited by newvisionantenna on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droopsnoot

Post by droopsnoot »

Oh, that made a difference. My camera now seems to be much more reliable after making that change and restarting Zoneminder. Thanks for that.
droopsnoot

Post by droopsnoot »

Spoke too soon. Seems to be more to do with restarting ZM than the change to shared memory size.
newvisionantenna

The shared memory settings helped me in getting more then 320x240. However, unless you edit the proper file those settings won't stick after a reboot. I put together a new web interface to view your memory stats and change them as needed. I need to learn more about this mapped memory in 1.24 and might build two dvd's, one with it on and the other without.
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

We got a new DVD built with 1.24.0 and the latest ffmpeg, and we also built a VPS template and have it running on our hosted VPS servers..

Sweeeeeet!!!

You can check it out here:

http://67.210.200.98/

Chuck
newvisionantenna

I would like to thank some of the forum users for letting me test out some camera's. That Orbit Picture looks amazing! Forget spending $500 on a PTZ CCTV cam, spend like $150 and call it good. Now if I could just refine that mjpg_streamer.pm file to where we could click the picture to move the cam, that would be sweet. I've left control on so anyone can go to the link Chuck mentions above and move the Orbit around. I wish the weather here looked like it does in your view. I just did a 180 in the car today with all the snow here in Germany.

I would like to try out some of the newer equipment, just to see how the VPS slice can handle it.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

You can get image based PTZ movement in one of two ways. Either mapped where the camera lets you address coordinates on the image or pseudo-mapped where you just encourage it to move in a particular direction. You should be able to get one or the other going provided you can move in vertical and horizontal dimension in one go. Pseudo mapped just requires a min/max pan/tilt speed and an optional autostop timeout to stop it all going too far.
Phil
newvisionantenna

I need to get in touch with the person that made it in the first place, he might already have this working. Right now it only moves up,down,left,right so that might have to be fixed first. Those Orbit AF cam's are all over the place here in Germany, it's like they just dump truckloads of them off at the store. Thanks for including that mjpgStreamer.pm file in the official build, it could come in handy for a lot of people.
newvisionantenna

Chuck D has the link and info on the new DVD. The links on the live demo will be updated soon to facilitate the donation and download of stable 1.24.0 with all work we are adding in.
cadman97

Post by cadman97 »

just downloaded last night and installed this morning. I can get to ZM, but It will not allow me to add new monitor. then I tried the same thing on a system on the network, and it seems that thru firefox, the buttons are not allowed to be selected, and in IE, it gives me errors, when I click the buttons.

Mike
newvisionantenna

I will reinstall the free version again on my machine here and test it. The online demo is locked down at the moment even though you are using admin/admin to log in. I didn't want people adding some crazy cam's pointing at something that might be inappropriate. If you want to test out a cam just send me a pm and I'll make you a log in on the demo. The free download should not have this issue as it's unlocked.
Chuck D

Post by Chuck D »

You cannot run this in live CD mode.. It will show the desktop all pretty and stuff, but it will be useless in live mode.. Nothing will work at all..

The live DVD is required to get the installer, and you will need to click the 3rd choice in the boot menu that says "Install WDE Zoneminder DVD to HDD"...

Meanwhile I sent you and sully a link to the new DVD we are building the wireless repeater network onto in your PM box..

Let me know how it goes..

Chuck
Last edited by Chuck D on Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newvisionantenna

cadman97,

Just got the free version installed like you are trying to use. If your running it live off the dvd it will not work correct. I can make a live dvd but I wanted to focus on making it installable. I can verify both firefox and IE7 work just fine in adding monitors. I'm using it right now with camera's on it. Maybe something got botched in your install or my upload got corrupt.

Does anyone else have this problem that have downloaded the dvd yesterday or today?

I'll go back and edit the first post, but for now the dvd is designed to be installed to take full advantage of your server's hardware. If your trying to get it running, please select the install option on boot up and don't bother with the live portion. If I have time I'll make a "live cd", but for now I need to focus on all the features I'm adding into the new version.