Mocord with external triggers

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
davide_c

Mocord with external triggers

Post by davide_c »

Hi all,

I've been using zoneminder for several months now, with 7 monitors (2 analog + 5 ip cameras) set on mocord.
So far I'm extremely satisfied with the results.
Right now I'm capturing at 320x240.
I wanted to raise the resolution on a couple of cameras to 640x480.
Since CPU usage was too much to handle for the computer, I've looked into external triggering of motion. The 5 vivotek ip cameras have built in motion detection.
So I finally could set up the cameras to trigger alarms on zoneminder.
In zoneminder I set up mocord on this cameras and then I deleted all zones.
However, I see that the usage of zma on the monitor with higher resolution is still very high.
I thought I could set the monitor on record, without analysis, letting the camera's motion detection trigger the alarm but the triggers are rejected by zmtrigger.pl if the camera is on record and not on mocord.

so, is there a way to disable zma on this monitor? or a way of using record and having events hilighted by external triggers?

regards,
davide
davide_c

Post by davide_c »

just to add some more information, I also tried making an inactive zone for the full frame. however, for that camera, zma still takes up 40% cpu.
cordel

Post by cordel »

You would likely need to edit the source to make a new function. I similar function is already available which is nodect but it only records when zmtrigger tells it to ( like the modect function).
To have recording with external triggers you would have to create a new function as it don't exist yet.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Nodect will work with any external triggers that use the perl API (or write directly to the shared memory). That will disable motion detection and analysis altogther.

As a side note, deleting all zones just means that zma uses a default zone which is the whole image size, so you're probably making things worse doing that. Although I've never done it, if you wanted to go that way then make a zone of maybe 10 pixels and give it unfeasibly large motion detection criterion. However Nodect and triggers should do what you want.
Phil
davide_c

Post by davide_c »

zoneminder wrote:Nodect will work with any external triggers that use the perl API (or write directly to the shared memory). That will disable motion detection and analysis altogther.

As a side note, deleting all zones just means that zma uses a default zone which is the whole image size, so you're probably making things worse doing that. Although I've never done it, if you wanted to go that way then make a zone of maybe 10 pixels and give it unfeasibly large motion detection criterion. However Nodect and triggers should do what you want.
hi
nodect in fact works correctly. however, it only records when the alarm is externally triggered. what I wanted was something like mocord, where everything is recorded 24/7 with events highlighted.

@cordel
thanks for the heads up, i'll try having a look at the code.
nausser

Re: Mocord with external triggers

Post by nausser »

I too would be interesting in a feature such as a triggered events by an IP camera with 24/7 recording. I know this post is a little dated, has this recently been added as a feature?
Time never ceases to accelerate.