Kernel Panic on boot

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
fatboyntn

Kernel Panic on boot

Post by fatboyntn »

I am attempting to boot the LiveCD, but I am having trouble. When it goes to activate the swap partition, it kernel panics.

I don't know why it's attempting to mount swap, because I have not even had a chance to partition the drive.

Is there some special line I can type in at trhe boot prompt to do an install instead of attempting to boot the live CD?

Thanks,
-- Terry
davide

Post by davide »

Before install the CD you need to get the Linux System on LiveCD working.. the install procedure is simply a script that copy the current working system on your HD.

To solve the mount swap problem: I don't know if will work but you can try with "livecd noswap"

some link to BOOTCODES:
http://www.elltel.net/melins/livecd/iso ... .BOOTCODES
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... =bootcodes
here there is a reference to the "noswap" option (morphix):
http://am.xs4all.nl/phpwiki/index.php/M ... ootOptions

regards,
davide.
mpoertner

Post by mpoertner »

I've had the same problem on different PCs. The problem wasn't with the swap even though thst was the last message that was displayed on the console. I was able to resolve the problem by going into the bios and in the video options - Telling it not to assign an IRQ to the video card.
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

I would also point out that the unstable scsi module "gotcha" often shows up about the time the swap message appears on the screen. So, once again:
Try booting with "livecd noscsi"

And I am so happy to report that this will be a far less common problem with the next version of livecd as the worst offending modules are no longer included.

Ross
fatboyntn

A little more help with lilo

Post by fatboyntn »

Ok, don't flame me too bad. I really have never had to pass any pramaters off to lilo other than booting to single user mode. Exactly what do I need to type in at the lilo prompt. There does not seem to be a label for "livecd"

Sorry for being so dense and thanks in advance for your advice.

--Terry
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

In the case of the livecd the bootloader is isolinux rather than lilo. Just type at the bootprompt "livecd noscsi" without the quotes.
Some of the bootcodes in the README.BOOTCODES file will not work correctly with version 1.19.1 due to kernel limitation. Again this is greatly improved in the upcoming version. But at least the noscsi, noswap, nousb bootcodes do what they are supposed to.

Ross
fatboyntn

Got it working!

Post by fatboyntn »

Thaks folks! I got it working. I had a bad CD-ROM drive that was giving me fits.

I also had to boot off of the older 1.17 CD, partition the drive and format the filesystems and then I could boot the newer 1.19 CD. I think I was attempting to make it harder than it should be ;)

Thanks for all your help!
-- Terry