ZM 1.23.3 on Ubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-16) works great!

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
zonaboy

ZM 1.23.3 on Ubuntu 8.04 (kernel 2.6.24-16) works great!

Post by zonaboy »

Just wanted to report back that I have ZM 1.23.3 running nicely on Ubuntu 8.04 (2.6.24-16). I was having a few issues initially, but after a bit of tweaking to get a clean compile, followed by some masterful assistance from Cordel to get my configuration correct, everything is humming right along.

some items of note :

1) Downloaded Ubuntu 8.04 64bit ISO and followed the standard installation procedure.

2) Downloaded ZM v1.23.3 and compiled it and ffmpeg (SVN-r13244) direct from source. I had to manually modify zm_mpeg.h to find a couple of ffmpeg header files which where in a different directory than expected. After that, ZM built fine.

3) My understanding is that ZM doesn't support v4l2 yet, but this version of Ubuntu (2.6.24-16) still has v4l support natively, so all is good there. FWIW - I saw some other thread where it was reported that kernel 2.6.25 and higher dropped native support for vl4.

At this point, all should have been good, but I had neglected to properly configure apache2 to find ZM and additionally had some IRQ conflicts causing the PV-149 to act weird. Cordel got me straightened out on both issues in short order.

so anyway, I just wanted to let others know that if you are looking to use a similar setup as mine... you should be able to get things working.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11731

-zonaboy
theorganloft

Excellent Work Zonaboy!

Post by theorganloft »

Good Job and Congratulations!

One question: What did Cordel find out of place? The ZMS and the IRQ?
"Organs are my passion but music is my goal"
"Open Source and Open Mind help one to Open mine"
zonaboy

Re: Excellent Work Zonaboy!

Post by zonaboy »

theorganloft wrote:Good Job and Congratulations!

One question: What did Cordel find out of place? The ZMS and the IRQ?
thanks!

the main issue was that my /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-defaults file needed to be modified to point to the directories installed by Zoneminder (as opposed to the defaults for apache).

had to change : /var/www ---> /var/www/html in a couple of places and
/usr/local/cgi-bin ---> /var/www/cgi-bin in a couple of places.

after restarting apache after this change, I was able to see video/stills from my camera from within ZM.

He also noticed that the PV-149 was sharing IRQs with several other devices (cat /proc/interrupts), so he had me disable the (unused) FDD controller and Parallel port to free up some extra IRQs. Oddly, after a reboot my system didn't reallocate any devices to the freed up IRQs, but nonetheless, the capture card looked to be happier.

thats pretty much it IIRC.
BitBass

Post by BitBass »

I asked the same question on another thread but I thought I'd ask here as well. How do you disable the IRQ's?
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

How do you disable the IRQ's?
You disable the integrated peripherals that are using the IRQs. Do this in the bios config utility. There is usually a note about how to access this at boot time. Typically pressing "delete" or F1 early in the boot process.
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Good work. Any chance of a howto assuming you kept notes on exact syntax you used i.e. svn configure options, zm configure options, prereqs. There have been a few in the past but there always seemed to be stuff that wouldn't work.

Would be good to have a more recent guide.

Cheers