Snazzier montage view

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
FuriousGeorge

Snazzier montage view

Post by FuriousGeorge »

I have little experience with Surveillance Systems. I've done basic administration on some proprietary products, and just installed ZM for the first time to replace an existing DVR.

I'm very impressed with the software overall, especially when it comes to the motion sensing features. One thing that I'm finding ironic is that the interface for viewing the cameras is rudimentary by comparison.

I just replaced a ten year old system, and the first thing that struck me is that there was no intuitive way to go from montage view -> single monitor view -> single monitor in fullscreen view.

As I said earlier, I only have a little experience with surveillance, but I've never seen a system that lacks that feature.

My understanding is that there is a 3rd party project which integrates this into zoneminder, but I haven't tried it yet.

There are also a lot of little usability things that I would think might help the non-technical end user appreciate zoneminder.

For instance, it would be nice if there were a less intimidating way to search events. The event filter forum is very powerful, but it constitutes an 'advanced dialog' while some users may need something more basic.

I'm just picturing checkboxes for the monitors and a JS calendar.

I have limited web programming experience, but I see most of these things as trivial compared to some of the more complex things the software already does.

Finally. would a standalone player be in order? Firefox is good, but I feel like it leaves a little bit to be desired as the player for the local machine.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I so agree, but unfortunately none of us are web developers either so if anyone one wants to spend the time to put a pretty one together, we certainly would welcome it.
ammaross

Post by ammaross »

Actually, there are a few of us who are web developers... (just don't tell anyone...shhhh) :)

I provided a montage view mod that allows you to click on a camera's image to pull up single-monitor view in a new window. Very handy if your montage is shrinking your camera views.

http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... highlight=