Zoneminder on Ubuntu

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
kjltiii

Zoneminder on Ubuntu

Post by kjltiii »

Do anyone know if Zone minder work on Ubuntu 8.04
theorganloft

Re: Zoneminder on Ubuntu

Post by theorganloft »

kjltiii wrote:Do anyone know if Zone minder work on Ubuntu 8.04
I am running it 24/7 with 16 monitors! :!: :D :!:
"Organs are my passion but music is my goal"
"Open Source and Open Mind help one to Open mine"
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Now the question of if 8.04 wors is totally different... :) If you have Hardy issues it works on Gutsy. If Hardy works for you, it will work. However, there is a Firefox issue with the ff3b5 that leaves streams open...
we4zonM

Yes it works on 8.04

Post by we4zonM »

It works on 8.04. Go to Menu -> System -> Admin -> Synaptic Package Manager, and search for "Zoneminder" and select Mark for Install, then select Apply. It will install Zoneminder. There is no menu item for Zoneminder, and if you type "zoneminder" on the command line, you will not get anything. It is WEB enabled, so you use a Web browser and you go to http://localhost/zm, after you run two commands (see the README for Zoneminder too)

> sudo ln -s /etc/zm/apache.conf /etc/apache2/conf.d/zoneminder.conf
> sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 force-reload
Firefox issue with the ff3b5 that leaves streams open...
What are these issues, will you explain? Thx.
coke

Post by coke »

I'm doing a fresh install on a new machine, is it worth the effort to compile from source on Ubuntu 8.04? I noticed the repo version was 1.22. Does ffmpeg work with the .debs?
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The repo version is way out of date. Get the latest from Peter's website.
btrotter

Post by btrotter »

Lee Sharp wrote:The repo version is way out of date. Get the latest from Peter's website.
Is it possible to install ZM on Ubuntu 8.04 using the "apt-get" command?
When I try to install using that, I assume it is looking in the old repos and wants to install 1.22.3.
How do I update the repos or use a new repo so it will install the 1.23.3 release?

If I cant, are there any step-by-step directions on how to install 1.23.3? I just installed a fresh copy of 8.04, and when I look at the Documentation which starts at "How to install from a .deb", it seems as though there are some pre-requisite steps which need to be done before I do that.

I have downloaded the 1.23.3 package onto my Ubuntu desktop, but I am not familiar enough with how to install from a source package to know what to do with it.

Thank you for your help, and sorry if these questions are basic. I generally read through archives and search for answers before just posting questions.
we4zonM

Post by we4zonM »

There should be better instructions on how to build and install from a source package. When you download the source package, it is usually compressed. You need to uncompress it, then configure it, then build it, then install it. The README file sometimes helps.
coke

Post by coke »

I saved my bash history files when I did it most recently, eventually I'll get around to editing them into the proper order (did a few things backwards) and put it on the wiki. It's pretty painless if you get all the required software first.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

btrotter wrote:
Lee Sharp wrote:The repo version is way out of date. Get the latest from Peter's website.
Is it possible to install ZM on Ubuntu 8.04 using the "apt-get" command?
When I try to install using that, I assume it is looking in the old repos and wants to install 1.22.3.
How do I update the repos or use a new repo so it will install the 1.23.3 release?
Yes, but it is old. Or update to Intrepid Ibex and use that. (Sarcasm Alert!)
btrotter wrote:If I cant, are there any step-by-step directions on how to install 1.23.3? I just installed a fresh copy of 8.04, and when I look at the Documentation which starts at "How to install from a .deb", it seems as though there are some pre-requisite steps which need to be done before I do that.

I have downloaded the 1.23.3 package onto my Ubuntu desktop, but I am not familiar enough with how to install from a source package to know what to do with it.
Just click on it. Gdebi will install it. Then do the post install steps from the wiki.
Secutor

Zoneminder Runs on 8.04.1, AMD AX78 Motherboard

Post by Secutor »

I built a computer specifically for Zoneminder and I'm running 8.04.1 on it just fine.
Hardare: AMD AX78 Motherboard, AMD 5400+ Athlon processor, PV-981 - 4 port video capture card (120FPS) - Realtime recording (PCI-E version) from BlueCherry .

I installed the 32-bit version of Ubuntu from the Alternate Install CD because Zoneminder is (as far as I can tell) 32-bit, not 64-bit. (Note: first I installed the 64-bit version of 8.04.1 and then tried to install Zoneminder. I got an error message saying essentially, "Wrong Architecture". I deduced that this meant the dpkg installer could not install Zoneminder on the 64-bit Ubuntu so I reinstalled Ubuntu using the 32-bit version and then the Zoneminder installation went smoothly and nearly instantly.)

It runs fine.
I followed the build procedures listed for Ubuntu 7.04 shown here...
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Ubuntu_7.04

I obtained the latest Zoneminder (1.23.3 for me) from Peter Howard at
ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zonemin ... 1_i386.deb
What gets downloaded to your computer is a debian dpkg. Click on the package and a GUI dpkg installer will install zoneminder.
Then, at a terminal, enter...

Code: Select all

sudo chmod 4755 /usr/bin/zmfix
and this will set permissions properly for your cameras.
At this point I defined cameras and everything was running fine.
SlovakJoe

Ubuntu 8.04 is great for ZoneMinder

Post by SlovakJoe »

Here are my personal install notes. I started with the Ubuntu 8.04 Server install CD. My blog post w/ pics and full system specs w/ links to newegg and pricing info was just posted today:
http://www.jozefnagy.com/content/christ ... rver_parts

Ubuntu 8.04
Installed 8/19/2008

=================================
Install From Source
=================================
apt-get install libgnutls-dev
apt-get install libjpeg62-dev
apt-get install ffmpeg
apt-get install libmysqlclient15-dev
apt-get install xawtv

Configure PERL
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5686
perl -MCPAN -e shell
Enter "no" at first prompt that asks for auto configuration or manual configuration.
At the program's command prompt "cpan>" type:
cpan> install PHP::Serialization
cpan> install Date::Manip
exit

mkdir /var/www/zm

./configure --with-webdir=/var/www/zm --with-cgidir=/usr/lib/cgi-bin --with-webuser=www-data --with-webgroup=www-data

Next setup the database so it has all the right tables, etc.
For zm db user, use:
user:zmuser
pass:zmpass [if u use anything else, zm can't start cuz it can't login]
mysql -u root -p < db/zm_create.sql
grant select,insert,update,delete on *.* to '<user>'@localhost identified by '<pass>';
flush privileges;

make install
Test that it starts and stops:
zmpkg.pl start|stop
After starting it, test out the web interface.

Post-Install Config

Link events directory to LVM:
rmdir /var/www/zm/events
ln -s /media/events events
chown www-data events [doesn't do anything]
chgrp www-data events [doesn't do anything]
Need to chown /media/events?

File /etc/init.d/zoneminder isn't created when installing from source. Use the local copy I have from when I installed from a package. It's located in /home/joe/docs/documentation/VidSecuritySystem. Once you run
/etc/init.d/zoneminder start
then it'll always run at bootup. If not, then once you have that file in /etc/init.d, run
update-rc.d zoneminder defaults
Islandcoz

Just installed Zoneminder on Ubuntu 8.04 but no video

Post by Islandcoz »

First of all I have to say I love Zoneminder, has been running it for several years on an old E-Machine and it works great. However I recently acquired a HP X2100 workstation with 1GB ram. I removed one 4-port card from the old machine and installed in the X210oo then I went ahead and Installed Ubuntu 8.04 workstation using the ISO, I then installed Zonminder 1.23.?? from the Synaptic (sorry about not having the version number on hand). But I can get video from XAWTV but not from Zoneminder, I have checked interrupts and implemented a few of the fixes that I found when I searched for 8.04 in the forums. I found out that my current Ubuntu install has VL42, I understand from the posts that Zoneminder is incompatible with VL42, what options are available for me.

Thanks for your help.

Problems

Post by 1984 »

i have purchased a Dell Power edge server SC440 and installed Kubuntu then used Synaptic Package Manager to find and download Zone Minder 1.23.3-3.

It shows that ZM is installed but i cant seem to actually run it...
Any ideas.? :cry:
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

how are you trying to 'run it'
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk