Install Problem..

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
Swompy

Install Problem..

Post by Swompy »

Hi all love the software but have a fundamental problem trying to boot from the CD.. :oops:

The CD kicks in and runs but then stops with this error message.
"jump to 80x25" and then nothing..

Any ideas what this error is pointing at? I've tried two different Liteon drives all be it the same model. The MD5 checks out ok.. Not sure what else to try.. The machine is a PIII 1gb with 20gb drive and 256mb ram, I has currently got a build of windows on it but machine appears to work fine with the os.

Any thoughts.. TIA

Swompy
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

At what point does it stop? Before the boot prompt? If so It probably won't work on that hardware.
If it reaches the boot prompt you can try using one or more of the bootcodes found here:
http://www.zoneminder.com/fileadmin/dow ... .BOOTCODES

The most commonly required bootcode is "livecd noscsi"

regards,
Ross
Swompy

Post by Swompy »

Hi Ross thanks for the reply.. This it what happens after turning the PC on with the disc in the drive.

Starts to boot from CD
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ISOLINUX 1.76 Mandrake Linux Copyright (C) 1994-2002 H. Peter Anvin

Loading vmlinuz.........
Loading initrid.gz........
Ready
You Passed an undefined mode number. Jump to 80x25..

_ (/emote blink blink)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It doesnt seem to matter what bootcode switch I use it seems to end at the above prompt.. I tried no scsi and debug and nodetect. Perhaps a combination of these might help?? Dont know..

Any thoughts

John
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Seems to be looking for a video mode. If you boot with "livecd vga=ask" the kernel will present a menu of available video modes. Try something other than 0 (80x25)and see what you get.

Ross
Swompy

Post by Swompy »

Thanks for ur reply Ross tried a few different numbers under vga=ask but what should happen after I have chosen one coz it just sits there blinking at me..

Sorry to be a pain..

John
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Sorry its not working for you. It should continue to boot, displaying the usual kernel output. Im out of suggestions. Anyone else?

Ross
linuxfd

Post by linuxfd »

Hi,

Had this problem my self with an old motherboard, try at boot type ' livecd noscsi '
but it may be solved by trying out your own video card in an AGP or PCI slot.

How much RAM have you installed, its a must to have over 256mb and above.

let me know if you have any luck

regards

fred
Swompy

Post by Swompy »

Hi Fred, its still giving me the same errors I've put in an 8mb PCI card to test two but no go, I've tried disabling the onboard sound too just in case.. Its got 256mb on the button.. Do u think that is the problem then?

TIA

John