1.23 and debian/ubuntu package

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

Flash_ wrote:I posted about it here; http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10904

(Last two)

A fairly minor bug in itself, but lost me a load of footage before I noticed. (The joys of updating on fridays...)
Oops. Missed that before. OK. Will look at.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Peter,

I would just like to say thanks for your efforts here and sorry it's been a bit of a PITA this last release. I think perhaps if I need to change libraries in future I'll run them past you first tomake sure it won't break anything!

Cheers
Phil
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

zoneminder wrote:Hi Peter,

I would just like to say thanks for your efforts here and sorry it's been a bit of a PITA this last release. I think perhaps if I need to change libraries in future I'll run them past you first tomake sure it won't break anything!

Cheers
Thanks for the sentiments. However, with the benefits of hindsight, I should have tried an initial packaging run starting with RC1. That way I would have picked up the problem weeks earlier :?

But knowing that something is coming would help too :)
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Being an open source contributer is like a Billy Connelly skit. :twisted:
I want this and that, I demand a share of this, most of that and f***in all of that. Less of that and more of this and f***in plenty of this. And another thing..I want it now, I wanted it yesterday and I want f***in more tomorrow and the demands will be changed then too so f***in stay awake.
The fact is that what you both do is amazing, and appreciated by many more people that you will ever hear from.
bhamilton

Post by bhamilton »

Well said Lee! Very amazing, and appreciated more than they will ever know.
PeterHoward

Progress

Post by PeterHoward »

libphp-serializer-perl has now made it into Debian Unstable. So I can get on with finding the next problem meaning I can't release :-)
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

That is good to hear. How to perl libraries normally get included. Does it always need someone to request it or do they all get trickled through eventually but accelerated on demand?
Phil
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

zoneminder wrote:That is good to hear. How to perl libraries normally get included. Does it always need someone to request it or do they all get trickled through eventually but accelerated on demand?
Someone has to have a need for it. If that "someone" is a member of the Debian Perl Group, it's likely that it will appear in Debian with no external effort. And the DPG overall focuses on expanding the volume of Perl modules in Debian.

In my case, a DPG member had actually packaged it for their own use, but had never uploaded it to unstable. It was my request for it that prompted the upload.

I think that explains things. But given the state of my brain this morning It may all be gobldegook.
mrd

Post by mrd »

Is there a new Debian package for the lastest ZM?
MRD
Secutor

AMD AX78 MB with Athlon; Ubuntu 8.04 and Latest Debian pkg?

Post by Secutor »

Hi,
I built a computer with the above components and find it will not run ZMLiveCD1.23.3 nor will it run the Bluecherry LiveCD. My system is 64 bit.
I am familiar with Ubuntu and wondering if the best course of action would be to install 8.04 Ubuntu (server or desktop) and then install the zoneminder_1.23.3-1_i386.deb.
Comments please.
Thanks.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Research into the AX78 shows that this is the first board that Abit produced with an AMD chipset. This is a hunch but possibly abit had some teething pains trying to implement it since they are more accustomed to NVIDIA. It's also the only MB abit has ever made with the "AMD" chipset. Although the AMD early chipset were ATI I would assume that the same developers are behind it as when it was ATI.
It is also possible that the LiveCD's are to old for the newer AMD chipset as well.
Can you load a ordinary distro on that machine?
Might try something more recent.
I would search linux.com for more info regarding this board, chipset, and make sure it's on the linux HCL. http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showcat.php/cat/30
You can also find more HCLs created for any distro so check for the distro you want to use as well..
Secutor

AMD Athlon 64-bit error: wrong architecture 'i386'

Post by Secutor »

I get "Error: wrong architecture 'i386'" when trying to install Peter's package on Ubuntu 8.04.

I installed the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 8.04 on my Abit AX78 MB with Athlon 5200+ processor. The distro runs fine on the box. Then I tried to install Zoneminder as a debian package from the site...
ftp://www.northern-ridge.com.au/zoneminder/
The package won't install and gives the message above, "Error: wrong architecture 'i386'".

What can I do about this? It's evidently a conflict in that I appear to be trying to put a 32-bit application(ZM) on a 64-bit system.
Should I install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on the system and then try to install the zoneminder_1.23.3-1_i386.deb from Peter's site?
Is there a 64-bit version of Zoneminder around for download?
Thanks.
coke

Post by coke »

If you're not pushing the RAM limits of 32bit (>4 gigs), stick with the x86 version of Ubuntu. You'll have less problems with everything in general.
PeterHoward

Re: AMD Athlon 64-bit error: wrong architecture 'i386'

Post by PeterHoward »

Secutor wrote: Should I install the 32-bit version of Ubuntu on the system and then try to install the zoneminder_1.23.3-1_i386.deb from Peter's site?
Is there a 64-bit version of Zoneminder around for download?
Thanks.
The Ubuntu repository for intrepid has finally added zoneminder. If you go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/intrepid/net/zoneminder you can download an AMD64 version. Hopefully you won't end up pulling in masses of post-gutsy packages.

If you have a try of it, please let me/us know so I can advertise it's existence further.

PJH
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

You will need the Hardy libphpserialization from Hardy at least. Not sure what else...