Watchdog V1 Puppy linux with Zoneminder - Runs from CD.

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
hushpuppy

Watchdog V1 Puppy linux with Zoneminder - Runs from CD.

Post by hushpuppy »

Watchdog is basically Puppy Linux 2.16 with zoneminder installed.
Watchdog runs from CD, and is blisteringly fast. (Ive used everything from Windows 3 onwards , various Linux systems (from RH4 on), and even commercial Unixe's , and Puppy beats them all hands down for speed.

Watchdog can also be installed to HDD, DVD, Flash drive, basically virtually any PC media capable of booting, but no installation is required. It is also very easy to configure the system the way you want (Eg configure your cameras) then to create a new Cd for just your machine, all your settings will be carried over.

If you run Zoneminder, you should evaluate watchdog.

Watchdog is under 200 MB.

Please download from http://www.doubleburgerbar.com/watchdog/.

Best to get the readme.txt first, peruse while downloading the iso.

Please leave feedback experiences in this thread.

An updated version (with startup scripts) should be available within a few days. Testing scripts will be available (time permitting) within a day or so.
ynn

Post by ynn »

waoow... I cant wait to try on my machine, great job!
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

Please report back with any successes and problems.

All ideas for improvements gratefully received.
madmax

Post by madmax »

This dist might make a good VMWare ZM virtual machine. It seems to load fast when testing it in Parallels. I hope to get some IP Cameras in the next few months and will try it out when I get the cams.
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

This dist might make a good VMWare ZM virtual machine. It seems to load fast when testing it in Parallels.
Puppy is the quickest GUI based distro ive ever used, and ive used just about everything i think.
I hope to get some IP Cameras in the next few months and will try it out when I get the cams.
I hope by then the distro will have all the bugs ironed out (i **think** its more or less at that stage on my development machine now).

One thing i will add, youre pretty limited to how many images you can capture with the livecd (remember everything is run in memory), so what i have done is store the /events and /images directories on hard disk and symlinked to those, I've now got 80 GB storage, works perfectly.

Please let me know how your ip cams work.[/quote]
mrd

Having trouble with capture card

Post by mrd »

I can't seem to get an image from my capture card with this CD.

My card is seen below on my Ubuntu system fine:
Name: BT878 video (Pinnacle PCTV Stud
Type: 171

On your version, it shows up as:
Name: BT878 video (**Generic something....)
Type: 171

I can see some signal from the camera but it's garbled and no real image appears? I've set the permissions on the /dev/video0 to 666 so that wouldn't be the issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
MRD
MRD
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

What do you have your device format and capture pallette set at ?, often you can get an image by playing with these.

I might be wrong, but thought that generic was only for type 1 card.

Most of my stuff has been packed away as im moving house on the 28th, this is one reason why i've not been on the forum lateley, i can only offer support from memory, i can't access my notes.

In the latest version of the iso, you have the option of loading a specific card type from a config file on the first hard drive.
Theres a small text file describing how to do this on the site also.

Please try those options, if they dont help ill fire up an iso and see if i can help more.
mrd

Post by mrd »

The format is NTSC and palette is RGB24, which are the settings that work when the same system is booted into Ubuntu. I can try the config file approach, but it looks like it is loading the correct card as 171, which is the same as when booted into Ubuntu.

Thanks,
MRD
MRD
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

mrd wrote:The format is NTSC and palette is RGB24, which are the settings that work when the same system is booted into Ubuntu. I can try the config file approach, but it looks like it is loading the correct card as 171, which is the same as when booted into Ubuntu.

Thanks,
MRD
Hmm, could you post the relevant bits from the logfiles of each system, the parts where the bttv driver is loaded.

Am i right in thinking that we are talking about the same machine in both cases ?. EG, you are running ubuntu and the iso on the same machine.

Before you do any of the above though, try changing from NTSC to Auto, thats the first thing i always try.
mrd

Post by mrd »

I'm not sure which log file to look at? /var/log/messages has tons of stuff about /dev/video0, but it's pretty big.

Interestingly, I changed my Format to PAL and it gets an image. The image has one thick black line through part of it but other than that, it's working. I know that on my other system it only works with Format NTSC so I'm thinking something is odd here.

MRD
MRD
hushpuppy

Post by hushpuppy »

on the right tracks at least.

yes, from /var/log/messages on each system, not the whole of the file (initially at least), just the bits that mention bttv.

I suspect, we will find that you've actually not got type 171 loaded.

you could also try the following.

stop zm , then rmmod bttv, then modprobe bttv card=171 , try NTSC again
cordel

Post by cordel »

Or to find out what card type is loaded:
dmesg |grep bttv
mrd

Post by mrd »

I'm having trouble getting my pipe key to work on my keyboard layout too so I can't grep very well.

Here is the ouput of dmesg:

bttv0: unloading
bttv: driver version 0.9.16 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0f.0, irq: 9, latency: 128, mmio: 0xfcefe000
bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [bswap] [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is bd11:1200
bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,insmod option]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=00ff3bff [init]
tuner 1-0060: All bytes are equal. It is not a TEA5767
tuner 1-0060: chip found @ 0xc0 (bt878 #0 [sw])
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: i2c: checking for MSP34xx @ 0x80... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9875 @ 0xb0... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA7432 @ 0x8a... not found
bttv0: i2c: checking for TDA9887 @ 0x86... not found
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
MRD
cordel

Post by cordel »

mrd wrote: bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:00:0f.0, irq: 9, latency: 128, mmio: 0xfcefe000
bttv0: detected: Pinnacle PCTV [bswap] [card=39], PCI subsystem ID is bd11:1200
bttv0: using: *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC *** [card=0,insmod option]
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
Some how you have card=0 in you modprobe.conf or it least the driver thinks you do.
mrd

Post by mrd »

So it detects the right card but loads the wrong one?

How can I fix it?
MRD