LiveCD Problems !!!

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
gguyaz

LiveCD Problems !!!

Post by gguyaz »

Hi! Thanks for this product and to everyone who works for it !!! (clap,clap,clap,...)

1. My first problem is what kind of partitions may I do with my HD 80Go
(I actually have : 108Mo for /BOOT; 72Go for /HOME; 1788Mo for SWAP. All are primary partitions)
IS THAT RIGHT?If not..how exactly may I have to do?

2. When trying to install, everything freeze on step 4of6.

3. Where is the md5sum for checking the .iso file

Thanks for your help

GGuyaz
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

Hi GGuyaz,
I think you are probably running out out space on your root partition. Your ZM system needs little space for /home since all the video events and the database are under /var. Of course you may want to use the system for other things besides ZM so you may want plenty of room under /home. If you will use this system primarily for ZM I would suggest a partition scheme like this:

/ -- 3GB
swap --200 MB
/var -- whatever is left

That will give you room to add other software if you choose. Include a /home partition if it suites your needs. I have never seen any real benefit to a separate /boot partitition. And everything will work fine if you go with just one huge / (root) partition and one small swap.

If you use the diskdrake graphical partition tool it will by default create one primary partion, and then an extended partition with logical partitions on it. My past experience is that this is less problem prone than using several primary partitions.

The md5sum file is here:
http://www2.zoneminder.com/downloads/ZM ... .1.iso.md5

regards
Ross
gguyaz

Hello again...

Post by gguyaz »

Hi!
Thanks for your help. My installation is still freezing on step 4 of 6.
It freeze when it is asked to format swap partition too.
Have you got a picture of your partitions maybe I am not understanding what you said.

/--3Gb is a primary partition?
/var is a logical or primary?
swap is a primary partition?

Thanks for your help.

(I really want to see this soft running)

G.Guyaz
rdmelin

Post by rdmelin »

If you are using only three partitions it should work just fine if they are all primary. Or an example that is typical of what diskdrake would do is like this:

3 GB primary partition = /dev/hda1 (this will be / )
Remainder of disk - extended partition = /dev/hda2 (this is just a container for logical partitions)
200 MB logical partition = /dev/hda5 (this will be swap)
76 GB or so = /dev/hda6 (this will be /var)

The partitions may not be the cause of the installation freezing. Did the CD pass the md5sum check? I would suggest running the install manually so that you will see any error messages in the terminal window.
Start by running "sudo diskdrake".
Delete all existing partitions. (I'm making the assumption that you have a whole disk dedicated to this installation).
Create a 3 GB partition and set the mount point to /mnt/hda1
Create a 200 MB swap partition
Create a partition filling the remainder of the disk. Set the mount point as /mnt/hda6
Click the done button.

If that portion went well, next run "sudo /home/user/bin/livecd-install"
Select the proper partions for / , swap, and /var, making sure to check the format boxes for all partitions.
Proceed and watch the terminal window for error messages. Post any errors here. Dont give up, we'll get you up and running.

:)

Ross