Wireless IP camera, preferably Panasonic ?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jethro10

Wireless IP camera, preferably Panasonic ?

Post by jethro10 »

Hi,
My installation is fine and working ok, some card based 'proper' cameras and several Panasonic BL-C10 IP cameras.

We want a wireless IP camera to use to move quickly to 'trouble hotspots' in the factory.
Can I risk getting a Panasonic BL-C131 which just seems a wireless BL-C10 or is there any other that is going to work that someone can recommend, that is available in the UK

Thanks
Jeff
eracc

Post by eracc »

Personally I would use Axis wireless cameras. I have had bad experiences with the low-end Panasonic wireless cameras. I would recommend one of these: AXIS 207W, AXIS 211W.
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

eracc wrote:Personally I would use Axis wireless cameras. I have had bad experiences with the low-end Panasonic wireless cameras. I would recommend one of these: AXIS 207W, AXIS 211W.
I can find the 207W in the UK, but not the 211W. THe wiki states the 207 has some hardware issues, so i'd rather keep off it.

Any other ideas anyone? or anyone know more about the Panasonic wireless I mentioned?
Ta
Jeff
eracc

Post by eracc »

jethro10 wrote:
eracc wrote:Personally I would use Axis wireless cameras. I have had bad experiences with the low-end Panasonic wireless cameras. I would recommend one of these: AXIS 207W, AXIS 211W.
I can find the 207W in the UK, but not the 211W. THe wiki states the 207 has some hardware issues, so i'd rather keep off it. ...
I see nothing in the Wiki that states the specific problem with any Axis 207 camera. I can state with certainty I am using a wired 207 purchased in January of this year (2007) and it works fine. I do see the thread in the forums referred to in the Wiki that talks about some problem someone had but I have zero problems with the 207 wired camera I installed at our client's site. I still say go with the 207W if the only problems are that odd sound problem or lockups after XX hours reported in the forum here. Any camera lockups (if any still exist) can be overcome with a script uploaded to the camera to reboot it once per day. As for the 211W in the UK, it appears these folks will have some in about 2 weeks or so.

My past experience (within this year) with wireless, low-end Panasonic cameras is not good. This was using them with Panasonic's own video servers. I would never buy one to use with ZoneMinder.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

AFAIK it was only the very first batch of 207W that had the hardware issue (unusuable sound quality) and it was me that reported it.

That hasn't put me off them and I bought another earlier this year which works fine. Both cams are in constant use - in fact the middle camera at http://www.mareandfoal.org/webcam is that first 207w and I wouldn't make it public if it weren't reliable.

I too recommend the 207w, and Axis in general.

Of course, if there's space and you don't mind a messier layout, you can plonk a cheap wireless access point with bridging next to your other ip cam of choice and do it that way, but less reliable and probably won't be any cheaper.
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

Ok,
i'm convinced.

Axis it is.

Thanks
Jeff