connecting to console remotely from internet...

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
cordel

Post by cordel »

Okay first off, this has nothing to do with your ZM machine, If you can access the console web page from the local network, then the ZM machine is doing what it's supposed to in which case there will be no errors on the zm machine. To access the machine through the Internet is the function of your router that's connected to your cable/dsl box. The router has to be configured (and maybe also if you have DSL, the DSL modem itself may need to be configured) to forward port 80 to the IP address of your zm machine. There is no configuration to be done on the zm machine to make this work. That's why I gave you the link above on port forwarding as this is not a function of ZM and that is why you will find nothing on the forum or the Manuals here about it. It out side the scope of dealing with or configuring ZM.
Solaris

SUCCESS - FINALLY!

Post by Solaris »

Corey thanks again for you help -
I finally got everything working! After 3 hours of wrangling with a NEW router and its settings to get back online - my friend in LA was able to get connected and check it out, now he wants to setup a zm box too!

The only thing I can determine is - my router was messed up or I just did not understand how to forward correctly the ports needed, even tho I have forwarded many ports before with no problems at all...

The best part is - now I can do some real sluething covert style and hopefully catch at least video of the thieves in my folks neighborhood.

My next project is a mini-itx zm box that will run on about 35 watts @ 12volts DC - and be silent with no fans whatsoever...

So far so good , Thanks - Solaris
martymoose

Post by martymoose »

what brand is your router?
I donated have YOU?
Solaris

router types-

Post by Solaris »

Hey Marty, The first router I had connected that worked for 4 years was a Network Everywhere {Linksys} NR041. It worked at least till I had this port 80 zm issue. I did "something" to it messing with the settings, and then could not seem to reset it back to defaults. Since I was unable to get zm to work through it anyways I figured I'd try another I had laying around. That router is a Zonet ZSR0104C series I got a few years back for a friend from NEWEGG. It is pretty similar and it has a 56 page manual which I always prefer to cd manuals.
Even though I had forwarded ports for years for different games, etc. - the NR041 just didnt seem to really get port 80 forwarded - {or something?} - I really do not know what it was doing - But as soon as I was back up online the Zonet did the trick and now works super. It still baffles me - but like most technology these days, it does not matter as much to me what happened to the other router - as that I now have a working system.
Must be them dang electro-gremlins again, Solaris
TimboUK

Post by TimboUK »

Have you a router?
I use a netgear 614 wireless (cannot remember the exact model, its in cellar!) There is an option on this to enable dyndns. When you register on there website you then choose a real url (eg www.mycctv.dyndns.org). You put your username and password into the router. Every time your IP changes from your isp, this new external IP is reported to the dyndns servers. All you ever have to type in is your web address. Nice and easy and works really well.

HTH

Tim
Solaris

dyndns...

Post by Solaris »

TimboUK, thanks for the great info, sounds like just what I need for a few of my installs with dynamic IP addresses.
Easy is great - works well is even better
Thanks again, Solaris
TimboUK

Post by TimboUK »

No probs mate, its nice to be able to help somebody!
linuxnewbie

Post by linuxnewbie »

i've been following this thread with great interest. im running zm on suse 10.2 and i have managed to get it working within my local network and the internet. Only problem i am having is that when i click on any events recorded i get an access forbidden page.

can anybody help im quite new to linux and zm so sorry if this is a stupid question

cheers
cordel

Post by cordel »

ssh into your ZM box and tail you apache error log ( some thing like tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log ) then try to access an event. Then post the resulting error here. To exit out of tail hit ctrl-c.
linuxnewbie

Post by linuxnewbie »

cordel wrote:ssh into your ZM box and tail you apache error log ( some thing like tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log ) then try to access an event. Then post the resulting error here. To exit out of tail hit ctrl-c.
Hi

I done the above but that path couldnt be found. im using suse so maybe its different. I've gone to the path you mentioned in the GUI aswell and there is no HTTPd folder within var/log
cordel

Post by cordel »

linuxnewbie wrote:
cordel wrote:( some thing like tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log )
I done the above but that path couldnt be found. im using suse so maybe its different. I've gone to the path you mentioned in the GUI aswell and there is no HTTPd folder within var/log
Thats why I said "something like". Is there an apache folder under the log directory?
Solaris

not sure how to help...

Post by Solaris »

hey linuxnewbie,
just got back from a trip of over 3 weeks- where I was able to watch my place back home with 3 cameras thanks to ZONEMINDER. I'm using the 1.22.3LIVECD version - so I am not sure what yer problem might be. Sorry I cannot be more helpful, my router ending up being my problem - go figure.

Good Luck, Solaris
linuxnewbie

Post by linuxnewbie »

cordel wrote:
linuxnewbie wrote:
Thats why I said "something like". Is there an apache folder under the log directory?
Yes there is apache2 with the following files access_log,error_log and rcapache2_out..

the error_log is as follows

Sun Apr 22 22:51:50 2007] [error] [client 192.168.1.100] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /srv/www/htdocs/index.php, referer: http://192.168.1.64/
[Sun Apr 22 23:38:10 2007] [error] [client 192.168.1.100] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible: /srv/www/htdocs/index.php

192.168.1.64 is the machine im running ZM on and .100 is another machine on my local network that im trying to view zm on using Internet Explorer.
linuxnewbie

Re: not sure how to help...

Post by linuxnewbie »

Solaris wrote:hey linuxnewbie,
just got back from a trip of over 3 weeks- where I was able to watch my place back home with 3 cameras thanks to ZONEMINDER. I'm using the 1.22.3LIVECD version - so I am not sure what yer problem might be. Sorry I cannot be more helpful, my router ending up being my problem - go figure.

Good Luck, Solaris

Oh maybe i should just use a Live CD, i've been working on this for over 6 months lol im very new to linux but im slowly getting there.. I got it forwarding to my router without a problem. Can i ask where you got your LIVECD from the latest one i can see on the download section is 1.22.2.

Thanks
linuxnewbie

Post by linuxnewbie »

cordel wrote:
linuxnewbie wrote:

Ohh i figured it out! how stupid! when installing zm on suse i was following the wiki and the person who wrote it said to use zm.php rather then index.php

when typing the ip address of my other machine i should have done 192.168.1.100/zm.php rather then 192.168.1.100

Thanks for all the help!!!! :D :D :D