GTK fron ednd

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.

WOuld you like a GTK fron end for ZM?

Poll ended at Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:08 pm

YES SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!
53%
NO WAY DUDE!!!!!!!!!!
47%

Total votes: 15

timgman

GTK fron ednd

Post by timgman »

I know this kind of goes against the web - based pricipal of ZM... but further functionality / beauty / client-ship would be instantaneous if there were a nice gtk gui for ZM
Is there a project like this out there yet?
I'd be willing to donate whatever applicable skills I have to offer.....
I'm not a coder but I can crunch bugs and beta...
What do ya' say? any GTK devs out there?
timgman

GTK front end

Post by timgman »

I know it's not much but a 100 $ paypal donation will be put to the ZM project
If such a product is created (in a continued development manner) and gpl'd.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i started a project in real basic but i cant do c.
Id agree it would be nice the lad who i feel would be best placed for this is maciec who has already released a shared mem viewer
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
timgman

Yessir.

Post by timgman »

I think that the advent of a gtk gui would really propel this project into a whole other class. I've been using the project for 2 or 3 months overall and testing various other windows based products....
This is the ONE thing that holds the product back from being 100%
Thanks for agreeing ;)
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

Slightly left field thought on this:

Isn't James Wilson's Windows frontend a .NET app? Presumably it could be given a GTK# interface as well and run under mono . . .
AlienTesticle

Post by AlienTesticle »

I was looking into using wxWidgets for a cross platform frontend since I use both windows and linux platforms. But I am sure GTK and FLTK would be just as good.

Though, I have one client that wants a good stream to be sent to his phone so I have been looking into 3gp streaming. (though not getting to far with that yet)

I dont want to have to connect directly to the mysql db for details so I have been looking into ways such as soap,xml-rpc,xhttprequest to query and retrieve data.

I am in the early stages so someone else may come up with something better before me and I am kinda waiting for when the next version comes out before putting to much more then prelim work in.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

my front end is a .net2 app, currently (i believe) mono is only supporting .net 1.0 and 1.1 but 2 is around the corner, seen as we have .net 3 now in ms id be betting .net2 is close if not available. I for one will be happy to rewrite zm4ms to fit mono once we have basic .net2 calls
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
jethro10

Post by jethro10 »

jameswilson wrote:my front end is a .net2 app, currently (i believe) mono is only supporting .net 1.0 and 1.1 but 2 is around the corner, seen as we have .net 3 now in ms id be betting .net2 is close if not available. I for one will be happy to rewrite zm4ms to fit mono once we have basic .net2 calls
Dont know when you last looked, but 2 is there now it seems.

J
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

might be worth a look, any mono experts in the house, or do i need to read tonnes?
James Wilson

timgman

Still not much interest in this?

Post by timgman »

I just thought that it might be a way to have a solid interface for searching .archiving and dumping to dvd / cd.
perhaps just a remote?
d0t101101

Post by d0t101101 »

I just thought that it might be a way to have a solid interface for searching .archiving and dumping to dvd / cd.
perhaps just a remote?
I haven't tried it with the latest version of ZM, but check out MythZoneMinder in conjunction with MythTV:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythZoneMinder

It's not fully featured yet, but tight integration with MythtTV could become quite useful. If ZM could use Myth's PictureInPicture features to display alarms, it would never fully interrupt you while watching media, but still keep all MythTV users/frontends aware of ZM events :D Burning shouldn't be too hard to add since MythTV already has facilities for it.

ktheking

Post by ktheking »

Keep ZM as it is . Adding opensource middleware connectors can however be an option for the GTK fan's amongst you. This might also open other path's for other application integrations.
But the downside will be that the number of releases and usability improvements will go down (middleware is complex ,and adding it is adding to the degree of complexity of the whole ZM project).
The upside is that popularity for ZM will rise.
That's my opinion as a current member of Web Application Engineer team of some major telecom company for which I'm working now.

As for my private opinion : don't touch a machine that works.