Email Issues

This is the place for any problems or issues with the website in general or the new forums in particular.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Email Issues

Post by zoneminder »

One of my addresses is being used as the 'From' address in a spam burst. Consequently I am now being flooded by bounces, returns, confirmation mails and general crap to the tune of hundreds a day. As these aren't spam themselves they are not all getting filtered out so I am having to delete them by hand.

If anyone needs to get in touch with me I would suggest pm'ing me on these forums as the block delets I am doing may inadvertantly delete genuine mails that I don't recognise as well.

Apologies also if you have sent a mail and not got a reply. I may have already deleted it.
Phil
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

This backscatter is a huge problem everywhere, it's incredibly frustrating.

Email is getting borderline unusable.
robi

Post by robi »

I'd like to e-mail a forum user, is there a way to do that? Phpbb has a function to use an e-mail form. Is there a chance to enable it? Or could you PM me his e-mail address?
cordel

Post by cordel »

You can PM the user you wish to contact and they will be emailed that they have a message.
Sorry but if they don't have their email selected as pubilic, we will not violate that users rights and pass it out.

Regards,
Corey
robi

Post by robi »

cordel wrote:You can PM the user you wish to contact and they will be emailed that they have a message.
Sorry but if they don't have their email selected as pubilic, we will not violate that users rights and pass it out.

Regards,
Corey
Ok, thanks.

Phpbb's e-mail form doesn't pass out the e-mail address. It has two fields, From, and Text message. Just like sending a PM but it directly sends an e-mail, without passing out the address.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I get an 'email' button on all the posts. Does everyone else not get that?
Phil
robi

Post by robi »

zoneminder wrote:I get an 'email' button on all the posts. Does everyone else not get that?
Nope. You as an admin always get everything. :lol: That button will be available for regular users only if you enable the e-mail form in the admin panel. (pgpBB admin panel > General Admin > Configuration > User email via board > Enabled) 8)
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Ok. I have switched it on for now. However as it's not been on thus far if I get a lot of complaints about email addresses being displayed (even though people can hide their own) I may switch it back off to allow people to adjust.
Phil
MJN

Post by MJN »

Phil,

Publish yourself an SPT TXT record in your domain's DNS. I introduced one recently and the reduction of backscatter was nothing short of amazing - it practically eliminated it.

www.openspf.org

Mathew
robi

Post by robi »

zoneminder wrote:Ok. I have switched it on for now. However as it's not been on thus far if I get a lot of complaints about email addresses being displayed (even though people can hide their own) I may switch it back off to allow people to adjust.
It's not working.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

The buttons aren't appearing or it doesn't work when you click them?
Phil
robi

Post by robi »

zoneminder wrote:The buttons aren't appearing or it doesn't work when you click them?
It's like before: Buttons appear only for those who specified public e-mail address, and the link is a mailto: instead of a form that hides the e-mail address.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

It seemed to have switched itself off again. Try again now?
Phil
robi

Post by robi »

zoneminder wrote:It seemed to have switched itself off again. Try again now?
Yep - now it's okay. I think this is pretty safe as the e-mail address is undisclosed anyway.
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server