Mobile devices live realtime streams

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
maniacul

Mobile devices live realtime streams

Post by maniacul »

Yo,

First of all I have to thank you all for this piece of software, as it's great.

A great improvement to this is to be able to monitor the cameras attached to ZM from a mobile device, like a PocketPC with realtime streaming images.

For instance I'm a Dentist and I have built my own practice, and mounted cameras in my practice. It wouldn't be very nice to have a PC & monitor installed near my dental chair to monitor the entrance & the waiting room, I'd rather have a PocketPC with WLAN that is considerably small and noiseless on my lamp mount.

Problem is right now that I cannot get streaming images (realtime images). It doesn't help me much if I get the current asf streams that are 20 to 40 late. The only good thing is cambozola streams which I can only see on desktops.
On my PocketPC (with win mobile) I can only get stills, not even asf's.

This would be a great improvement to this piece of software.
Respect,
Dr.Septimiu Suciu
mycal

Java Viewer

Post by mycal »

I have a rough java ap that I developed that works on some jpg and jpg streams. No UI just connects to a source and starts displaying images. If anyone is interested in doing a zoneminder app I can donate it to the cause.

Works on my cingular service with GPRS at about 1fps using 3.5Kjpgs.

Note that MIDP java is not well suited to MJPG unless there is a lengh in the rewrite header, because it is missing some basic buffer processing that is available in regular java.

What I've found works best for cell streaming is just standard JPG using a keepalive socket, this gives the most realtime display and is almost as effecient protocol wise as MJPG.

Using MJPG, because of the limitations of MIDP the stream is about 15 seconds behind and slower than the JPG grabs. This is because the TCP buffers fill up all the way while the phone is processing the data.

Finally I have not tested it with zoneminder but it should work, and it would work well if there can be keepalive jpg access.

-mycal
maniacul

Post by maniacul »

it would be nice to give it a try
Respect,
Dr.Septimiu Suciu
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Live video via phones and mobile devices is very much on the 'to do' list, so I hope to have it included in the main distro at some point.

It would be nice to see the java applet as well though I agree.
Phil
mycal

Post by mycal »

Sorry guys, will try to get the java viewer posted in a few days.

Maybe we can figure out how to integrate it.

On a side note can zoneminder use keepalive on socket and allow mutiple jpg grabs over one socket? I've found this can be more efficent than MJPG in some cases.

-mycal
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Are you talking about ZM capturing from a cam, or the web stuff getting images from ZM? The former should already use Keep-Alive but the latter probably doesn't as it uses JavaScript request objects and I don't know if/how you can configure them to do that.
Phil
mycal

Post by mycal »

Yes I'm talking about getting images from zoneminder.

I'll have to look into how JavaScript request objects works,
I never looked at how zoneminder delivered video, but I was assuming it was MJPG since it uses cambizola on IE.

MJPG is hard to parse on MIDP java because of its limited library.

If you could provide a .jpg file that updated that would work also, since you already have that data it should be no problem to do one more copy per frame. You may already have this somewhere.

-M
mycal

Midp Java video streamer code for moble phones

Post by mycal »

I've posted the MIDP Java video streamer source code at my site. Inside the archive you will find my report of which methods worked best.

http://support.yoics.com/viewtopic.php?t=22

This project was developed on the NetBeans 5.0 IDE and
the J2ME wireless toolkit.

I've tested it on Cingular with an unlocked V600 phone and
a few others.

It will also work with the Simulator that comes with the
J2ME wireless toolkit.

I don't know if this will be any help, but it works with a bunch of video servers and IP cameras. The issue with zoneminder is
to be able to access the jpgs.

-Mycal

PS. checkout the Yoics Desktop an Linux Daemon. It allows access to your zoneminder box from anywhere without port forwarding or knowing your IP address.