Getting ZoneMinder into debian and ubuntu

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
PeterHoward

Getting ZoneMinder into debian and ubuntu

Post by PeterHoward »

Dear All:

I'm planning to try to package up ZoneMinder and get it into the repositories for Debian(unstable) and Ubuntu(universe). I'm doing this as:
  • * They're not in there and I'd like to see them in there,
    * The only other formal packaging (at http://www.spic.net/zoneminder/) for either seems to have stopped at 1.21 and attempts a couple of months ago to contact the person who did that packaging never got a response,
    * I don't see anyone else planning to do this,
    * I have the luxury of working with some Debian and Ubuntu maintainers.
If anyone is aware of anyone else doing this, let me know and I'll get back in my box :) If anyone has issues with this, let me know.

The timeframe for this should be the next few weeks.

PJH
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Excellent. Thanks for putting the time in on this. If there are any mods or additional scripts that might be required to help with this just let me know and I will try and get them in.
Phil
PeterHoward

Committed

Post by PeterHoward »

Well, the ITP is in the debian bug system now (#443003) - looks like I'm committed :shock:
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

That sounds great, though I have no idea what it means :?
Phil
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

ITP = "Intent To Package" - i.e. it's gone into the Debian bug system saying that I'll package it. If you look at http://mentors.debian.net/cgi-bin/sponsor-pkglist you'll see that it's listed; which means that it should make it into Debian unstable in the near future.
PeterHoward

Install problems

Post by PeterHoward »

My main problem at the moment (which will hold things up) is that I can't stop the perl libraries from being installed under /usr/local/share/... and the man pages under /usr/local/man/... , instead of under /usr/share/... and /usr/man/... as I need. If I'm understanding things, they get processed in scripts/ZoneMinder/Makefile.PL - is that correct? I can't seem to influence INST_LIBDIR - either on the "make install" line or via the ./configure options.

Is there any chance of you talking me through this area? Perl, esp Perl Makefiles, is not my strength.

PJH
PeterHoward

RTFM

Post by PeterHoward »

OK. I found it - ask the Debian packager in the room first, then read up. :?
And I believe I have to patch the package at my point.

So carry on as you were . . .

PJH
whocares

debian packages are always welcome :)

Post by whocares »

Im a debian user myself, and i havent looked into creating packages myself yet.

Since im a programmer i could look into this, but as i see the number of people who want this is pretty low in comparison to other distributions, ill wait.

Another reason im waiting is the previous in conjunction with the fact installing it manually is easy on debian (finding the right dependancies is a bit harsh though).

I think there should be a specific thread for this, if there's 100 people or more requesting it, i will think about requesting an official debian package for it. (Thats because its alot of work and requires me to update it periodically)

/dave
PeterHoward

Grind, grind, grind,

Post by PeterHoward »

It's going in as an official Debian package. Just completed round 1 (got the rejection this morning - nothing major but a bit of fiddly stuff).

Once I've got it into Debian the (pretty-much same) package will go into Ubuntu universe.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Just wanted to say thanks for doing this - as a Debian user it would save me a lot of a time if ZM was packaged properly. :)
MJN

Post by MJN »

Peter,

Any development on the Ubuntu package?

(Please don't take the query as impatience, I'm just interested in the outcome of your efforts! :))

Mathew
PeterHoward

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Post by PeterHoward »

If you take a look at http://ftp-master.debian.org/new.html you'll notice Zoneminder a fair way down the list :( I won't start the formal process for it going into Ubuntu until it's properly in Debian unstable.

Having said that, the source package is the same for both Debian and Ubuntu, so I do have an Ubuntu package, just not officially.
jan

sarge

Post by jan »

hi,

how difficult would it be to repackage your .deb for sarge?
the dependencies i've pretty much figured out here:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... .1_install

i've read that 1.22.3 uses newer sql statements which sarge doesn't support, so 1.22.2 would probably have to be used in the meantime.

is there even a point in doing this? btw, i run my zoneminder servers on sarge (no ffmpeg), due to stability and security updates. am i too paranoid?

rgds,
jan
MJN

Post by MJN »

Thanks Peter for the update.

I'm quite comfortable manuall installing (although only by following the Wiki!) but it would still be nice to have a packaged version if only to simplify updates as per the rest of my machine.

Cheers,

Mathew
PeterHoward

Re: sarge

Post by PeterHoward »

jan wrote:hi,

how difficult would it be to repackage your .deb for sarge?
It already builds for sarge (with ffmpeg pulled in). Whether it would run is another matter, as you touch on below :-)
the dependencies i've pretty much figured out here:
http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.ph ... .1_install

i've read that 1.22.3 uses newer sql statements which sarge doesn't support, so 1.22.2 would probably have to be used in the meantime.

is there even a point in doing this? btw, i run my zoneminder servers on sarge (no ffmpeg), due to stability and security updates. am i too paranoid?
At this stage (with etch "just around the corner") I wouldn't plan to formally do a sarge release.

As to stability issues, the only problems I've had are with something occasionally chewing up all the memory; it hasn't happened for some time and I've never managed to catch it in the act; which means it may have nothing to do with zonemidner anyway.