Running filter on events from only one zone

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
kevin_robson

Running filter on events from only one zone

Post by kevin_robson »

I have a disabled zone on the road outside my house so that passing cars do not trigger alarms. When someone enters my property it triggers and alarm in the main zone.

It works fairly well, but occasionally there is someone hoverring around the footpath next to the road, and in the event of anything happening I'd like this footage too.

The solution would seem to be to set the road zone to active, but set up a filter so that any events that are just on the road are automatically archived, meaning they dont clog up my system but are available should I want them.

I tried this earlier by filtering for events where Notes = Motion: Road1

However, what I found is there were several events where if someone came onto my property they would first trigger the Road1 zone and then trigger my main zone, but on the event the notes would only say Motion: Road1.

These were therefore being archived, even though they were also on my drive and should have been triggering my main zone.

Anyone any idea why it only shows up as the first zone in the Notes?

Is there a better way to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you could create another monitor from the one you already have and have a different zone on that, that is the only way to 100% do what you want that i can think of
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

You mean have a seperate monitor running off the same camera and card, or with a seperate camera? Didn't even know it was possible to have more than one monitor per input?

Thanks
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you can have as many as you want of the vid card but you may drop frame rate.
Or you can use the other monitor as a source for a new monitor as if it were an ip cam
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Cheers
I will give that a go. As long as the frame rate and load on my server are OK, I reckon that should do the job.
kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

I gave this a try but unfortunately it drops my frame rates right down - to about 4FPS. I'd prefer not to go that low.

Can anyone explain why this is?

I can understand how if I was using 2 seperate cameras it would, as the card has to multiplex between the frames it provides, but I'd have thought if I was sharing the input any delay in FPS would be down to the software only?

Is there any way of getting around it?

Or has anyone got an other ideas on the original problem, in particular why the event description text only marks 1 zone even though multiple zones should be activated?

Thanks
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

it thinks it is a seperate input so will drop framerate. If your zm serber has enough power you could create a new monitor from the mjpeg stream, there is plenty of posts on how to do this on here but if you run ata high framerate and you have a low spec server it may be too uch for it
James Wilson

kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

Sorry, I wouldn't find any posts describing what you mention. Maybe I was using the wrong terms. If you get a minute could you post a shortcut to one please.

Cheers
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Perhaps I should add something in there to try and optimise when multiple cams use the same input, so that they just grab the same frame.

The reason that only the first zone is in the Notes field is that this, and the Cause field, are updated when the event is created and indicate what caused the event to happen. Subsequent triggers etc are not recorded. I can see that adding this would be useful, but it's not alll that trivial to update really at the moment.
Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

phil can we pull images by bypassing apache, i think i rember a file way of getting images maybe this would be better
James Wilson

kevin_robson

Post by kevin_robson »

One other thing I noticed was that if I disable or set to 'None' the second Monitor, the first monitor remains at the lower frame rate, even after a restart.

I'd have expected it to revert back to the higher rate. Could this behaviour be altered easily, as it stands I cant just quickly switch the second monitor on and off as I want to and increase the primary zone framerate.

Hope this made sense.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

jameswilson wrote:phil can we pull images by bypassing apache, i think i rember a file way of getting images maybe this would be better
You can use zmu to dump images, is that what you meant?
Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

maybe
When i want a duplicate montior and frame rate is an issue i use zms and a remote cam. But maybe the machine would prefer me using zmu? if so how would i

Re your frame rate issue im suprised as normally framreates are dynamic ie i have 2 cams on a single chip card here at home and limit them to 1 fps when an alaorm occurs they jump up and they do. So maybe you have in incoreectly set card?
James Wilson

zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

kevin_robson wrote:One other thing I noticed was that if I disable or set to 'None' the second Monitor, the first monitor remains at the lower frame rate, even after a restart.

I'd have expected it to revert back to the higher rate. Could this behaviour be altered easily, as it stands I cant just quickly switch the second monitor on and off as I want to and increase the primary zone framerate.

Hope this made sense.
I think this is because the capture daemon is possibly started with both monitors and then not signalled to restart if you change the state of one, as it's not really expecting two monitors to share the same device and channel like this.

You could trying editing zm_funcs.php and search for the function zmcControl. Then add in the following line as shown below
to

Code: Select all

if ( $monitor['Type'] == "Local" )
    {
        $mode = "restart"; // <-- Add this line
        $sql = "select count(if(Function!='None',1,NULL)) as ActiveCount from Monitors where Device = '".$monitor['Device']."'";
        $zmc_args = "-d ".$monitor['Device'];
    }
This is entirely untested as a fix but is worth a try. However it will interrupt the captures for the other monitor briefly as it restarts the capture daemon that both monitors use.
Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I personally would go sown the zms route.
Create a new monitor and set its type as remote
in host enter 127.0.0.1
in path enter your image path

this can be retrieved by viwing the monitor stream and clinking in the info button from cabbazola or rightclicking if ff. shoule be something like

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/cgi-bin/zms?mode ... 1161689064

now remove the ip info and your left with the following path
/cgi-bin/zms?mode=single&monitor=1&scale=100&auth=9ae3c9cef9f4a006a1605f47cff1309b&rand=1161689064

Now you need to remove the auth as that will casue issues
/cgi-bin/zms?mode=single&monitor=1&scale=100

then add your login info
/cgi-bin/zms?mode=single&monitor=1&scale=100&user=<username>&pass=<password>

the abve shows jpg nor mjpeg but i prefer jpeg. Also remebr to set a maximum fps or it will nail your server

James
James Wilson