Translation for items that are both verbs & names

If you would like to check the status of a language, volunteer to do a translation, or highlight or correct a problem in one of the existing language files then post here.
seb3s

Translation for items that are both verbs & names

Post by seb3s »

Hi Philip,

I'm in the process of improving the french translation for ZoneMinder. I just encounter the case of Archive ($zmSlangArchive) that is used both as a verb (within a few buttons to describe the action of archiving) and as a name in the main console (as the column header to the total events already archived in the system).
The problem is that in french, the two spells differently and so I would need to change the console term to be something like Archived ($zmSlangArchived) or Archives (to be created).
Finally I would keep the Archive ($zmSlangArchive) as a verb.

What do you think ?

Cheers.
Sebastien.
seb3s

Addition

Post by seb3s »

I could add that there are quite a lot of english terms that are both verbs & names and so that would translate differently in french (load for instance). But I've not yet meet another case where a term was used in both context.

It could be useful to have the possibility to distinguish the context for such terms if they are to be used for both context.

I mean something like:

$zmSlangVerbArchive
$zmSlangNameArchive

or maybe simpler

$zmSlangToArchive ==> verb
$zmSlangArchive ==> name

Cheers,

Sébastien.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Moved and cleaned :D

Thanks Sébastien!

Cheers,
Corey
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

If anyone comes across terms like this then just let me know and I will split the terms as appropriate. So if there are any more like this in French (or any other language) just drop me a mail and I will fix them.
Phil
seb3s

Archive to be splitted

Post by seb3s »

I guess that means that you've already taken into account that Archive needs to be splitted for the next revision ?

Cheers,

Sebastien.
robi

Post by robi »

Aaaaah! I was about to start a new topic on this!

It's exactly the same situation for both hungarian and romanian. "Archive" is a good example: as a verb "Achiválás", while as a name "Archívum" (hungarian). "Arhivare" vs. "Arhivă" (romanian).

Has this split taken care of? Would be really useful.
v1.25.0 + Ubuntu Linux 12.04 Server