Audible Alarm – Warning - Audio O/P

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
Lager Monster

Audible Alarm – Warning - Audio O/P

Post by Lager Monster »

I have seen a lot of discussions on audio I/P into ZM – What about audio O/P

i.e if a filter criteria is met a certain wave file (selectable) is played through the servers speakers.
Hook this up to an amp . . . .

Good for scaring those who stray where they are not supposed to.

Ok it will counter audio triggering with positive feed back but that could be rectified in a filter.

So a filter like:
Monitor Id - equal to – 4
and – Time - greater than – 23:00:00
and – Time – less than – 06:00:00
and – Alarm Frames – greater than – 35
SAVE (call it “scare their pants off”)
Tick - Play wave – GTFout.wav - speaker 2

Depending on the sound card we right now have at least 2 sound channels – Left & Right. More with 5.1 etc

You can make any sound you want
Dog growling, Officer Barbrady (south park), Ghosts . . . . .

This is for a “deterrent” tactic rather than a “catch em in the act” tactic.

Move along now children. There's nothing to see here
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

You can do this with the web interface now but what you want is probably best achieved at the moment by creating a simple script that just watches the monitor states and plays a sound on alarms. Audio output is done differently depending on the hardware you have but shouldn't be too hard even if all you do is cat something through /dev/audio.

Phil
Lager Monster

Script query

Post by Lager Monster »

Thanx Phil

How would you suggest I monitor the states . . .
via the /var/log/messages? I have noted entries when an alarm is triggered.
e.g
zma_m5[10549]: INF [Office: 566 - Gone into alarm state]

Is there a better/easier/more efficient way to monitor alarm states?

I found aplay /path/alarm.wav worked on my Fedora FC4 box where cat did not.

I’m a newbie at shell scripts but will give this a go and start a thread in User Contributions

Cheers Lager_Mon
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

I would suggest using a simple perl script to monitor the states. 1.22.x has a simple(r) perl API to make it easy to write scripts like this and the versions of zmtrigger.pl also supports outgoing triggers so you could modify that as well.
Phil
ynn

Post by ynn »

phil,

i like this idea of having an audio being played if there is motion detected, is there anyone out there who's already done this?

thanks.
2tomcats

Post by 2tomcats »

ynn wrote:phil,
i like this idea of having an audio being played if there is motion detected, is there anyone out there who's already done this?
Something similar. My setup is a zm-server somewhere in my serverroom, headless. There are several machines displaying the montage window (or zm4Linux), or some mplayer/xine windows of the streams.

Those machines which are supposed to draw the attention of somebody if something is moving are running a little prog called "bofhlog" (look at freshmeat for details). This prog monitors logfiles and can "do" things if predefined conditions (based on regex) are matched. It is watching zm's logs. In my case an example action would look like this:

- raise or start the montage window (or zm4linux)
- emit a loud beep/play a sound so everybody will be alarmed
- do other things like send mail, pager, icq, ...you get the picture

regards
Uli
mrd

Post by mrd »

I have something that works pretty well and has the potential to record audio when an event starts/stops too, but I'm not sure it's the best way to go about it.

The script is here:
http://74.0.48.238/zm/monitor_logs.txt

It requires that "Festival" voice generating software be installed but it was pretty easy on my xubuntu box with "yum install festival"

It also requires a perl module called File::Tail that was just about as easy to install.

It works well but has some limitations. It is delayed about 5 seconds from the start of an event (as logged in /var/log/messages) and it can't tell what zone the even was triggered by, only the monitor name.

My questions to those who are more familar with ZM is...

Can you add the zone info to the logged messages?

Better yet, can ZM just provide configurable access to trigger something (an audio message) at the very start of an event and at the end?

All of this might already exist, but in my experiments, I can only get a script to run after an even has processed using a filter and even then it can't seem to generate audio with festival. I'm guessing it needs to run from the console to work or needs a setuid wrapper which can be dangerous on a system.

Maybe I should just be using triggers somehow?

Any ideas are appreciated...
MRD