What do I need, system-wise, to get up and running?

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
neilthewoodworker

What do I need, system-wise, to get up and running?

Post by neilthewoodworker »

I'm new to Linux and web-oriented programming but have degrees in CS, electronics and telecom. I have used Unix, OS/2 and DOS (command-line, compiled OS's) in the past, so I can relate to the tech jargon. What I need to know is: if I'm going to build a working system from the ground up, what do I need? I want up to 8 cameras at 30 fps. I would like a recommendation for OS software above all else. The last time, years ago, I looked at redhat's site it was 50 bucks for all they had. What should I do now to get into the Linux world and get ZM to work for me? For instance, I'm not clear on whether I can do this with one computer and webcams or also with some non-webcams. For me, this would be an intranet, since I want to keep it all onsite. Thanks, all you folks are great and believe me, I will donate when I get this working!
neilthewoodworker
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

The have been a couple of threads on getting big systems up, the most recent is here.

The main issue you are going to have is the 8x30fps capture rate. You'll need at least a dual PCI bus system I think as that amount of traffic will overwhelm a normal PC architecture machine with just one bus.

The rest of the system spec depends on a whole bunch of variables, how big are the images (640x480 is 4x the bandwidth of 320x240), are you going to be doing motion detection, monitoring or unconditional recording (you'll need a gutsy CPU to do motion detection on 8 cameras at that frame rate), how long do you want to keep events for (you may need terabytes of storage if it's for a month) etc etc. Basically there are so many things you can configure or switch on or off that you can get a working system on pretty much any hardware if you compromise on frame rates or images size etc. Likewise if those parts are fixed you need to specify them exactly in order to calculate what resource you might need to support that functionality.

Phil,
brenden

the SCALE is SO wrong

Post by brenden »

you know what's really funny about this DVR / digital cam stuff ?

years ago, when scanners were new, and incredible. 300 dpi scanning, you know! -- remember that?

and remember how the average person just didn't "get it" regarding how long it took to scan one page, and how much storage it consumed, and how the quality was more jagged -- as compared to a regular old xerox photocopier...

it's the exact same thing here and now.