Fix STOPPED state after reboot

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
TruckerDave

Fix STOPPED state after reboot

Post by TruckerDave »

It took me quite a bit of searching to find the very simple answer to the question ...

My ZoneMinder loads in a STOPPED state.
How do I make ZoneMinder load in a RUNNING state after a power outage or reboot?

Open a terminal and run:

Code: Select all

systemctl enable zoneminder
Yes. It's that simple. So, simple it's probably a given to seasoned Linux users.
mikb

Re: Fix STOPPED state after reboot

Post by mikb »

TruckerDave wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 3:09 pm So, simple it's probably a given to seasoned Linux users.
Seasoned Linux users avoid systemd ... ;) so might well get caught on that when forced to use the thing.

(Slackware and proud!)
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

However, if you use the recommended script, that's in there.
mikb

Post by mikb »

dougmccrary wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:02 am However, if you use the recommended script, that's in there.
One of the recurring problems seems to be that there are definitive, tested and we-know-these-work instructions.

Then, there are other sites with out of date, incomplete instructions.

And finally, there are AI systems chomping through all that and creating new approximate instructions, for clicks and advertising revenue.

When people Google for "How do I fix X with ZoneMinder" it's a coin toss which they find first ... :(
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

You're right.
We probably ought to have the "right" instructions pinned somewhere, so when the question comes up we can just tell them where to look.

OR, maybe a new "New to Zoneminder? Install tips." or similar would be where to put it.
mikb

Post by mikb »

dougmccrary wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:19 am You're right.
We probably ought to have the "right" instructions pinned somewhere, so when the question comes up we can just tell them where to look.

OR, maybe a new "New to Zoneminder? Install tips." or similar would be where to put it.
That is the most practical answer ... my thoughts were more along the line of hunt down all the wrong ones and nuke them ;)

The real problem is getting the RIGHT instructions to appear in Google/etc. ahead of all the SEO-optimized wrong ones.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

This
The real problem is getting the RIGHT instructions to appear in Google/etc. ahead of all the SEO-optimized wrong ones.
Unfortunately there are a few (now or always) wrong instructions on personal sites too.