Zoneminder keeps using all memory, physical and swap

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
mabcastillo

Zoneminder keeps using all memory, physical and swap

Post by mabcastillo »

Hi guys,
I installed a server with Zoneminder 1.36. The server runs Debian 12. The server has 48 cores, 256 GB RAM and 256 Swap area. The disks on the server are SSD. It is a EX-130R server from Hetzner. I installed 70 hikvision cameras. Everything works fine, it is just that Zoneminder keeps using all the memory available, including the swap area. This is a cyclic behaviour, it takes Zoneminder about 30 minutes to deplete the available memory, then the server goes unresponsive for about 2 minutes and then the cyclic begin again.
I have other two EX-130R servers with the same configuration, that are completely stable. I have seen this behaviour in another test server that we were using.
Have anybody seen this kind of behaviour?
Thanks in advance for any reply.
mabcastillo

Re: Zoneminder keeps using all memory, physical and swap

Post by mabcastillo »

Hi guys, an actualization.
After almost 12 hours of use, the system seems to be stable.
It has all the available memory used, and from 50% to 80% of the swap area, but it seems that the system is stable now.
Despite the fact that half of the swap area is used, the system is responsive and fast.

Any feedback, comment or suggestion is very welcome.

Thanks in advance
bbunge

Re: Zoneminder keeps using all memory, physical and swap

Post by bbunge »

Check the database server to see what it is using for resources. Are you using Mariadb?
What cam resolution are you using? If 720P or 1040P you may want to drop down a bit.
Capturing jffs or video? If both, turn jffs off. If jffs use video. I feel using video uses fewer database resources as there are fewer files.
If you are doing continuous recording try MODECT.