The storage options in ZoneMinder

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
CasimerConn

The storage options in ZoneMinder

Post by CasimerConn »

Hello, I have a question about the storage options in ZoneMinder. I have a 4TB hard drive that I want to use for storing events,getting over it but I don't want to fill up the entire disk. I want to limit the storage space to 2TB and delete the oldest events when the limit is reached. How can I configure ZoneMinder to do that? I have tried using the Storage Areas feature, but I don't understand how it works. Do I need to create a separate partition or folder for the events? Do I need to set a filter or a purge policy? What are the advantages and disadvantages of using the MP4 container format instead of the default JPEG format?
Last edited by CasimerConn on Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dougmccrary

Re: The storage options in ZoneMinder

Post by dougmccrary »

The easiest way is to make a partion, and point zm at that. It needs www-data permissions (on unbuntu anyway).
The default "PurgeWhenFull" filter will keep it down to %95 full.
1.34 is no longer really supported. Use 1.36
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

CharlotteFilemdar

Post by CharlotteFilemdar »

I understand your concern about managing storage space in ZoneMinder. Here's how you can achieve your goal of limiting storage to 2TB with automatic deletion:

1. Storage Areas:

You're on the right track with Storage Areas. This feature allows you to define specific locations and policies for event storage.
No need for separate partitions. Create a Storage Area within ZoneMinder, pointing to your 4TB drive.
2. Purge Policy:

Within the Storage Area settings, enable the "Purge Policy" option.
You can set "Maximum Disk Usage" to 2TB (2048 GB) and a "Purge Algorithm" like "Oldest First".
This ensures only the oldest events are deleted when the limit is reached.
3. Filter (Optional):

You can optionally use a filter to limit which events are stored in this specific Storage Area.
For example, filter based on camera, event type, or duration.
4. MP4 vs. JPEG:

MP4: Advantages: Smaller file size, preserves audio, allows motion search within recordings. Disadvantages: More processing power required, higher initial recording cost.
JPEG: Advantages: Simpler format, lower CPU usage. Disadvantages: Larger file size, no audio,
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

The AI post above gets most of it right, except for the purge policy stuff. Total lies.
mikb

Post by mikb »

iconnor wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:12 pm The AI post above gets most of it right, except for the purge policy stuff. Total lies.
There are a couple of accounts that seem to only post "jovial AI help content". That's one of them ... does that count as "bot content", and is that something that's useful to the forum?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Same here - I'm surprised Isaac didn't just delete it.