Lorex PCI Card with Zoneminder?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
SonopaalFounik

Lorex PCI Card with Zoneminder?

Post by SonopaalFounik »

Venturing into Linux and Zoneminder, I'm grappling with my Lorex QLR460 PCI card on Debian 11. The proprietary software on Windows XP became obsolete, leading me to explore Zoneminder as a solution. The lorex qlr460 PCI card has four inputs (BNC) and one BT878, with Windows drivers limited to "lorex vistapro 6." I managed to get video into other software using BT878 TV tuner drivers but only on channels 1 and 2. After upgrading to Debian 11 and installing Zoneminder 1.34.23, I encounter voojio issues with inputs beyond channel 0. Despite two days of troubleshooting, including various online suggestions, I'm yet to make significant progress. Seeking guidance on potential oversights or solutions. Your insights are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Last edited by SonopaalFounik on Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
iconnor

Re: Lorex PCI Card with Zoneminder?

Post by iconnor »

I would say use xawtv to figure out the channels/inputs etc. You may need to tell the bttv driver what the card is.
the bt878 chip can likely only handle about 2fps per channel. Because it takes too long to switch channels. I did put some effort into improving this back in 2000.. but there is only so much you can do.

Almost none of this is actually worth while because you can get bnc to network encoders for like $8 each.

If you do get it working, please document it well so that others can too. So many of these cards are undocumented.

Also, 1.34 is no longer supported.
CharlotteFilemdar

Re: Lorex PCI Card with Zoneminder?

Post by CharlotteFilemdar »

I understand your struggles setting up the Lorex QLR460 with Zoneminder on Debian 11. Troubleshooting multi-channel capture can be tricky, but we can work together to get it working! Here are some steps and suggestions:

Potential Oversights:

Kernel Modules: Did you load the necessary kernel modules for the BT878 and video capture? Check Debian documentation for specific modules, often starting with "bt8xx" or "cx2388x".
Input Configuration: Have you configured Zoneminder's camera settings with the correct device paths for each input? Look for clues in your logs for device recognition issues.
Channel Switching: Check if the driver supports channel switching beyond channels 1 and 2. Some require specific ioctl commands or settings.
Possible Solutions:

Zoneminder Forums: Search Zoneminder forums for threads about Lorex QLR460 or similar BT878 cards. You might find specific configuration examples or workarounds.
LIRC: Consider using LIRC to map physical remote buttons to Zoneminder commands for channel switching. This might provide access to additional channels.
Alternative Drivers: Research alternative open-source drivers for the BT878 chipset. Although not guaranteed, they might offer broader channel support.
Hardware Upgrade: If all else fails, consider acquiring a more compatible capture card with native Linux support for multi-channel inputs.
Additional Tips:

Share your Zoneminder log files for a closer look at device recognition and error messages.
Specify the error messages or symptoms you encounter regarding channels beyond 0.
Provide details about your hardware setup and specific kernel version for better context.
Remember, troubleshooting is a process of elimination. By providing more details and trying the suggested steps, we can narrow down the issue and identify the best solution for utilizing your Lorex QLR460 with Zoneminder on Debian 11. Don't give up just yet!

I'm here to help guide you through this challenge. Keep me updated on your progress and feel free to ask further questions!