Tuning for 4K monitors

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
BiloxiGeek

Tuning for 4K monitors

Post by BiloxiGeek »

I've been replacing some older HD cameras with 4K. Started out with some smearing issues on one but I think I cleaned that up by knocking down the frame rate at the camera and lowering the bitrate. No more false positive alerts from the smearing lately. But now I can't get it to alarm at all. Used the Fast,High sensitivity preset and then walked out onto my front porch. This Reolink Trackmix POE camera never alerted on it's own while I strolled around the walkway. Had to force it to get this example frame. I'd like to get to where a person in the driveway, yard or the walkway would trigger an alert. Is there a way to do this effectively when the camera is 4K? I haven't worked through this in quite some time so I'm not sure how I figured things up for my older HD cameras.
4k_no_alert.jpg
4k_no_alert.jpg (694.53 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
Magic919

Re: Tuning for 4K monitors

Post by Magic919 »

Start by ignoring the presets. They are too old to be any use with such modern cameras.
-
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

I changed to pixels instead of percent. I started by drawing a zone around something about man sized. The zone will show how many pixels it contains. There are more pixels in an 8MP camera than the 2 and 3 MP cameras and it takes a little getting used to.
From there I was able to tune ZM to capture people close and far.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
BiloxiGeek

Post by BiloxiGeek »

Andyrh wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:50 pm I started by drawing a zone around something about man sized. The zone will show how many pixels it contains.
I was thinking something similar to that but hadn't thought to use the zone definition to get a good pixel value. I'll be tweaking things this afternoon and report back.

Is it possible to set the upper limit to such a large number that events like cloud cover changing the view so large that the change gets ignored? Maybe something like whatever pixel count would be 50% or more.
Andyrh

Post by Andyrh »

I have set max values to help with clouds and I have set the color change for a pixel to help with shadows. I do not remember the setting, no access to ZM at the moment.
Clouds are an on-going battle.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect