hauppauge 4 input card

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: hauppauge 4 input card

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Rick,

I've been looking into this. I suspect that Video4Linux (v1 at least) does not support different geometries or palettes on one device, which si the case when a card shares inputs among one bttv chip. The video source that you can switch allows you to specify the channel (ie input) and the format (ie PAL or NTSC) but nothing else. I think it _may_ be possible if the geometry and palette are restated for the device each time the channel is switched but at present I am unclear whether this will (a) be really slow or (b) screw things up.

If I get chance I'll do a test version and try it out and see.

Phil,
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

That would figure. xawtv is only looking at one thing at a time anyway, but zmc is switching like crazy. I've got two cards so (assuming I can figure the BNC->S-Video connection sensibly) I'll put the monochrome cameras on one and the colour ones on another and see what happens then. It'd be nice to be able to run a low-rate monitor that captured occasional images at double the size, but it's not vital.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

By the way, I think greyscale cameras would work just fine (and still look grey) if you set the palette to something else, e.g. what your colour camera is using. It's not the colour characteristics of the camera that's important just what the actual palette setting is. It's a bit of a waste of bandwidth to use B&W cameras with colour settings but that's all. Everything else should be ok.

Phil,
lazyleopard

Post by lazyleopard »

Yes, that would work. It does make the images bigger and the images from B&W cameras do tend to get a bit of colour-fringing, especially along high-contrast edges though. The grey-scale images are definitely cleaner.
Srecko

Post by Srecko »

Hi,

Can any body can tell me where I can buy Hauppauge 64405 or 64402 card.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I have a bunch of 64405 cards Rev B3
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i found this thread while googling for something else. if you set to card 82 you will get all 4 i have hacked an svhs lead and feed my mono cam in there and 3 colours on the others-

Regards James
mooooooo

hauppauge 4 input card

Post by mooooooo »

I've just read through all the ImpactVCB related posts but I can't seem to find anything that would clarify one question.

Is is possible to read all 3 ports at the same time or do you read one port, then switch to the next port and read that one, and then the next?

Thanks,

Daniel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

thats correct but you can still achieve 2 - 3 fps per input
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
mooooooo

Post by mooooooo »

jameswilson wrote:thats correct but you can still achieve 2 - 3 fps per input
Eeek, still confused. Which part was correct? a) I can read all at once. b) I have to read, switch, read, switch, read, switch. :D

Thanks again,

Daniel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

zm automagically reads then switches all inputs. Basiccaly its a max 25 fps input. As the chip is shared accross 4 inputs you get 25 / 4 then you lose a few frames as the chip syncs to the new vid signal, hence 2 - 3 fps per input if all 4 are used. I only use single chip devices as 2 fps per input is more than enough for most security applications
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
mooooooo

Post by mooooooo »

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Daniel
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

no worries
James Wilson