I am behind shared public IP (NATed), what are my options?

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
CancunManny

I am behind shared public IP (NATed), what are my options?

Post by CancunManny »

Hi, and thanks in advance for any help or suggestions you guys can provide.

As subject says, I am behind a shared public IP, so the usual duckDNS and similar options don't seem to be available. My ISP won't give me credentials or move me to my own IP.

I do have a HomeAssistant running on a RapberriPi. I forget the name of the integration but each time I reboot my HA it sends me a telegram message with my new public link. If something changes, like a modem reboot, if my public link changes I also get a telegram message with the new link. I couldn't come up with a way to get a permanent external link without having to pay a monthly fee to someone.

I had also integrated ZoneMinder with my HomeAssistant, Using sensors (ie door sensor) I would capture pictures and send them via telegram.

Well I now want to start using ZM Events Server and some of the associated toys like object detection, face recognition, etc. I know little to nothing about ZMES but I have read that in order to get the full functionality I have to have SSL certs not signed by my computer. I've never really played with LetsEncrypt, but little reading I've done I have to be able to receive traffic in port 80 in order to get a signed cert. Is there a work around?

I am not really interested in accessing my network or cameras from the outside. Most of my cameras are Wyze so I can use Wyze app for that. I would also be able to view cams via home assistant which I can access from outside.

Thinking about it more, seems ZMNinja and some other messaging thing require signed certs to work, but not sure I would want to use those features at the moment. I have ZM on one computer, and the HA on the Pi. Ideally I want ZM to do person detection, and when it does send message/image to HA for HA to send me a telegram about it, turn on sirens if alarms is on, etc. Once I get that settled I would try face recognition, and if face not recognized then sound alarms, etc.

Would I have to have signed certs to do accomplished what I just mentioned?
iconnor

Re: I am behind shared public IP (NATed), what are my options?

Post by iconnor »

One of the services that ZM Inc provides is a VPN/DNS services for just such a situation. You could do the same thing for yourself with an amazon vps or whatever.

Basically if you went with us ($25/month) we set you up with a wireguard vpn config, which you would put on your ZM server (or other device, whatever). We give you a yourzm.zoneminder.com domain name (or whatever domain you want) and we do a reverse proxy on our web server to your ZM server over the VPN.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Sure I can do a discounted yearly. $200/yr?
Bhorm

Post by Bhorm »

That's great :)