Delete button annoyingly requires confirmation

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
haydude

Delete button annoyingly requires confirmation

Post by haydude »

Hi, I am using zoneminder 1.36 on Ubuntu Server 22 (standard install)

My use case is watch events and delete them quickly if nothing relevant is found or archive them and move on to the next.
However pressing the delete button quite annoyingly prompts a pop up asking if I am really really really sure I want to the delete the event!
That is a waste of time and clicks especially when having to go through several events per day.

Is there any way to disable this very annoying prompt?
iconnor

Re: Delete button annoyingly requires confirmation

Post by iconnor »

Are you willing to fund the implementation?

We do this because deleting is hard to recover from.

We could implement it so that the event is simply marked as deleted and actually deleted a few minutes later...

Or add a config option, turning the behaviour off.

I'm definitely not going to make it the default. So it's a bit of work. I know others have asked for this. If we make it a bounty will you contribute?
haydude

Post by haydude »

I could gladly contribute some funding.

I would keep it as simple as a config option that turns the feature off. A delayed delete is un-necessary.

Could you also consider a feature that allows to export events and re-import events from zoneminder server to zoneminder server?
I am asking for this because I have just upgraded from Ubuntu server 20 (zm 1.34) to Ubuntu server 22 (zm 1.36) and the zoneminder upgrade went wrong. Lots of zmc errors that I could not resolve, so eventually I created a new zoneminder server from scratch (this time I took the opportunity to create a docker image+container) on Ubuntu server 22 and I configured everything from scratch. All good (a part the annoying delete button), but there seem to be no way to export/import archived events that I want to keep from the old server, forcing me to maintain this broken version just so that I can access the events I saved.

This feature would be quite useful given that zoneminder is prone to get messed up after upgrades. It happened also a few years ago when I upgraded from Ubuntu server 18 to 20, so I lost all the events where I had captured my father who has since passed away. :(
zerkms

Post by zerkms »

haydude wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:29 am this time I took the opportunity to create a docker image+container
Do you mind sharing your Dockerfile + other parts of the image please
Simpler

Post by Simpler »

A good way to implement this is to leverage the Shift button. This is how Firebase handles delete without confirmation.

If the user is holding the Shift key when Delete is pressed, then no confirmation dialog is displayed.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Hey that seems like a good idea! Much simpler to implement too!
haydude

Post by haydude »

zerkms wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:20 am
haydude wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:29 am this time I took the opportunity to create a docker image+container
Do you mind sharing your Dockerfile + other parts of the image please
I would share it gladly if I had it.
I built the container from a standard ubuntu server 22 image and then I installed and configured all the packages from there.
I created volumes mounted to the container for mariadb data and zm events store and then I configured mariadb and zm to point to them (zm default storage is on a volume).

To make zm accessible from my LAN I created a docker ipvlan and I assigned a static local IP to the zm container. The same method can be used to expose the container to the internet if you need to.

Do you know if it is possible to create a dockerfile out of it?
haydude

Post by haydude »

Are there any updates to this request?
Simpler

Post by Simpler »

I implemented this request. It will be in the next release.