(Noob in need please help)Chain camera streams from server to server?

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
mindyourZonebusiness

(Noob in need please help)Chain camera streams from server to server?

Post by mindyourZonebusiness »

So my scenario is this: I have 2 close friends with remote access to their Proxmox servers in their own homes
I have remote access to them via auto-starting tailscale LXC containers
They each have a few cameras plugged in which each of the servers can access on their own LANs(and have successfully made Monitors for)
But both "servers" are cheap, weak 2nd gen core i3 systems that are incapable of motion detection and dont have HDDs to store video on

Then i thought just "stream" encrypted footage through their ZoneMinder instances to my beefy server at my house which can then process and store it
I know you can say "oh just port forward the RTSP streams" I dont trust the vendors to have access to my root LAN and i dont think theyre encrypted, plus my friends' upload speeds are limited so i can only do so many frames but in some instances you need more like when theres motion

I would also like to dynamically manipulate the settings of each stream, for example if my server detects motion it can demand more FPS when motion is detected(because they have limited upload speeds)

How would i go about this? I am a complete noob to ZM but am a bit desperate so I tried making multiple servers with this docker image(https://github.com/zoneminder-container ... inder-base) but am not successful yet(in the multi-server configuration), if anyone could help Thanks
bbunge

Re: (Noob in need please help)Chain camera streams from server to server?

Post by bbunge »

An i3 makes a good server for Zoneminder. But, don't use a container. My ZM system uses a Dell 13 with a 500GB SSD. I have run this with a 256 GB SSD. I store events from my five cams for 14 days and still have half of the drive free.
It is possible to have a multiple server ZM system. Here are old instructions: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Common_Issu ... _on_Ubuntu
burger

Re: (Noob in need please help)Chain camera streams from server to server?

Post by burger »

mindyourZonebusiness wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:37 am Then i thought just "stream" encrypted footage through their ZoneMinder instances to my beefy server at my house which can then process and store it
I know you can say "oh just port forward the RTSP streams" I dont trust the vendors to have access to my root LAN and i dont think theyre encrypted, plus my friends' upload speeds are limited so i can only do so many frames but in some instances you need more like when theres motion

I would also like to dynamically manipulate the settings of each stream, for example if my server detects motion it can demand more FPS when motion is detected(because they have limited upload speeds)
What I would do:
VPN to get the streams, and use sub stream for low FPS, main stream for high FPS. I wouldn't try to have a zm server in their location. I mean, you could, but why bother. Port forward would also work fine. Port forwarding doesn't mean the cameras need internet access. You could still have them on a downstream LAN. And with a port forward through one or two LANs, you don't have to deal with VPN setup.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide