Much higher CPU usage after upgrade

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
rilny

Much higher CPU usage after upgrade

Post by rilny »

A few weeks ago my server was running ZM 1.36.25 on Fedora 36. I've got 8 cores, 16GB RAM with 5 cameras and everything was great, pretty low CPU usage.

Then I upgraded to Fedora 37 which also upgraded ZM, first to 1.36.32 and then I later went to 1.36.33. Since the upgrade, all 5 of my zmc processes are using tons of CPU all of the time. I didn't change anything related to the cameras or settings.

All of my cameras use the same configuration: mocord with analysis, ffmpeg source (rtsp over tcp), passthrough writer with movflags=frag_custom+dash+delay_moov. Two of the cameras have analysis images saved, the others have JPEGs disabled.

This is the exact configuration that was working before the upgrade with low CPU and no issues.

Whatever is causing zmc to use so much CPU now, it could be a change in ZM or in any of the libraries that it depends on, since I'm sure many of them were also bumped up for Fedora 37. There's no 1.36.25 rpm for fc37 but I could build one if that's necessary to try and determine whether it's a ZM issue or external.

Before I do that though, does anybody know what might have caused this?