Unable to see video on ONE computer

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
RonRN18

Unable to see video on ONE computer

Post by RonRN18 »

I have no problem logging into ZoneMinder on my laptop and viewing live video or playback of events. My wife's computer on the other hand can log in but just a large, blank, white space where the video should be. She has tried it on several different browsers (Chrome, Edge, & Firefox). I am at a loss as to why video is not playing back. I was able to take a brand-spankin' new laptop and log in and view video, just not on my wife's desktop. Can you think of anything that might block this across the board on just one machine? I had her log in using my administrative account too but it still didn't work. This is very similar behavior to me using an iOS or Android device, as ZoneMinder apparently doesn't work with mobile devices any longer but my issue is on a Windows 11 desktop.
iconnor

Re: Unable to see video on ONE computer

Post by iconnor »

You don't say which version of everything, but around version 100 of chrome and firefox, they changed something about img display and I had to spend a fair amount of time figuring it out.

If you aren't on 1.36.32 and the latest browsers, update.
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

iconnor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:05 pm You don't say which version of everything, but around version 100 of chrome and firefox, they changed something about img display and I had to spend a fair amount of time figuring it out.

If you aren't on 1.36.32 and the latest browsers, update.
Weird. Today was the first day I *NOTICED* that my videos have stopped playing on all my PCs except one single laptop. Now I am wondering why it still works on my primary laptop but from no other device. I tried numerous other computers that I've known to work in the past and on nearly every browser.

The machine running Zoneminder is operating on Ubuntu 22.04.01 on a 12th generation i7 CPU and 64 GB RAM. From other borkings on another machine, I have learned NOT to do full-upgrades and only do standard "apt upgrade". I am running 1.36.32.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

With the possible exception of windows 11, which I don't have, all those should work.
Maybe try clearing cache on the 'broken" machines?
I see zm working on iOS and 'Droid, phones and tablets.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Right click on where the image should be, click on Inspect.. Look at the css styles/properties of the img tag and surrounding Divs...
pat2

Post by pat2 »

dougmccrary wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:01 am With the possible exception of windows 11, which I don't have, all those should work.
Maybe try clearing cache on the 'broken" machines?
I see zm working on iOS and 'Droid, phones and tablets.
same here. no issue on win, mac, phones, tablet. through the internet browser (*) and/or the proper version of ZM Ninja (**)

(*): warmly suggested mozilla firefox
(**): warmly suggested on mobile (iphone, android) and tablet

if you have more than 6 cameras, please let us know.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZM 1.36.34 - 14 cameras on Orange Pi 5 (arm64) - Ubuntu Jammy 22.04
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

I just realized the error in my ways. It has to do with network security/domain names/ports... "Multi-port setup". The reason it was working on the one computer was related to my domain being placed in my local hosts file.
pat2

Post by pat2 »

RonRN18 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:18 pm "Multi-port setup"...
that's the reason I wrote "if you have more than 6 cameras, please let us know." :)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
ZM 1.36.34 - 14 cameras on Orange Pi 5 (arm64) - Ubuntu Jammy 22.04
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

While I now know the gist of my issue, I'm still having some issues finding the solution to my issue and it is most likely in my router/firewall. I happen to be using pfSense. I use HAProxy and a domain name to direct web traffic to my ZoneMinder interface.

I currently have 12 cameras connected on ZoneMinder and all but one, I have created two monitors per camera. I create two monitors, one for the high-resolution set to "Nodect" and the other one set to "Modect" I call the "Modect" cameras my trigger feeds and they trigger the high-resolution monitors to record. Following the instructions for Multi-Port setup, I set up ports "30000-30050" to be used.

Earlier today, when I realized that this was the source to my issue, I tried to set up port forwarding. In pfSense, you can create aliases for ports, so I created a port alias I called "ZMPorts" for "30000:30050". I tried to create port-forwarding and didn't know what type of ports these are supposed to be. I assumed that their protocol would be either TCP or UDP and there is an option for redirecting either of those protocols on those port numbers to my ZoneMinder machine but it doesn't seem to work. Could they be some other type of protocol besides TCP or UDP?

I realize that some of my issue is with something other than ZoneMinder (pfSense) but the issue is co-related with ZoneMinder. Should I ask a question in a pfSense forum, they would likely say that it was a ZoneMinder issue... a chicken<->egg scenario.
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

It’s not so much a ZM matter, but all the complications that have been layered on top.

Set up your ZM multiport then netstat on the machine to see the 300xx ports. Verify they are TCP.
-
RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

Magic919 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:25 am It’s not so much a ZM matter, but all the complications that have been layered on top.

Set up your ZM multiport then netstat on the machine to see the 300xx ports. Verify they are TCP.
I had not previously played with netstat but I learned something interesting. I see that all these ports are TCP6. For example, I see rows like:

Code: Select all

tcp6       0      0 [::]:30005              [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:30006              [::]:*                  LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 [::]:30007              [::]:*                  LISTEN
I also see:

Code: Select all

tcp6       0      0 MY_DOMAIN.NAME:30001  10.1.15.2:26613         TIME_WAIT
tcp6       0      0 MY_DOMAIN.NAME:30012  10.1.15.2:26605         TIME_WAIT
tcp6       0      0 MY_DOMAIN.NAME:https  10.1.15.2:26584         TIME_WAIT
(Note... I could show my domain name, but I'm trying to keep it generic.)

I have never spent much time getting to know the ins and outs of IPv6, which is why I'm a little confused why it is showing from my domain name to an IPv4 IP address. Is my issue somehow a routing issue because of involving IPv6? I don't see any of the 30000-30050 on standard "TCP", only "TCP6".
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

I’d just force IPV4. Listen directives like 0.0.0.0.
-