1.36.32 random logout and stream scaling issues

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
maddios

Re: 1.36.32 random logout and stream scaling issues

Post by maddios »

Yeah, that one is set to America/New_York as well (-5)
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Yeah, on re-reading I see you said that. Sorry.
I was also reminded of the sizing thing. Maybe the two are somehow related...so,

Have you tried removing ZM only, and re-installing?
Pay attention to errors during install, if you try. There are a couple normal unit related ones, but maybe something else is going wrong. :?:

BTW, are you using ubuntu or ?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

The streaming things is weird. Which view is it montage or montage review?

I'm thinking javascript error causing the rescaling to not happen. Please check javascript console log.

But the thing is... when we load the page, we load a single still image, then figure out the sizing and change the url to include the scale parameter and switch to streaming. So if the scaling wasn't working, then neither should the streaming.

Pretty weird.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Speaking of sizing, where is that done? I have a couple of devices I leave around in montage, and they sometimes come up less than perfect, i.e. undersized. Maybe I could do some tweaking?
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

It's all done in javascript... for montage it's in /usr/share/zoneminder/www/skins/classic/views/js/montage.js

The basic way it works is that the img is 100% of the width of the container.. and we apply css rules like 25% to the container...
Then we figure out how big the image is on screen tell zms to scale to something reasonable.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Thanks. Sounds fun. :wink:
maddios

Post by maddios »

So I think I realized what the resize issue I was seeing, it's not that it's not resizing, it's that the time font size doesn't seem to scale anymore? It used to get bigger as the stream scaled down but now it stays the same relative size as when it's 100%. I can confirm that the video does indeed rescale as it gets lower resolution with scale and so does the bitrate.

As for the upgrade. I'm not 100% sure (it's been a while) but I think I may have installed zm 1.36.10 from source, but then I did the upgrade to .32 last week via aptitude because I couldn't find build from source instructions anymore. I'm guessing there's some stuff that didn't update correctly.
I think the simplest option for me is to migrate to a docker container to clean up my install.
maddios

Post by maddios »

Just for fun I just dpkg reinstalled 1.36.33 now via startpackpack.sh method.

Let's see what that does.

As for reinstalling, what's the best way to fully clean up old ZM?

for now docker is a plan b, since the official one is deprecated I'll have to build one from scratch anyhow.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Yeah, now that you mention it, I think the available font sizes changed. The timestamp should resize along with the stream.
sudo apt remove zoneminder seems to do the job on ubuntu
Leaves all the preliminary lamp stack, so you just reinstall the zm package and it should fly.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

timestamp not scaling?! That was an issue a while back.... when timestamping on viewing instead of immediately after capture.... but I thought I fixed it. Maybe I never merged it to 1.36.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Oh wait, I've re-read what you are saying, and yeah, we scale the image after timestampping.

I suppose it should be an option.
maddios

Post by maddios »

No, it's fine to scale the timestamp as it is, I don't really care. I was just used to how it was before where when it scaled the timestamp got huge and that's how I knew scaling was working or not. I simply never checked that the scaled stream was indeed smaller and lower bitrate.
maddios

Post by maddios »

iconnor wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:18 pm For docker, try https://github.com/zoneminder-container ... inder-base
Sweet, I'll give this container a try. Though I have some local changes (specifically in the css and views) that might make it harder for me to use a container.
maddios

Post by maddios »

Ok, so I've migrated my setup to run fully off the docker composed setup iconnor mentioned in an earlier reply. The system fully migrated fine and after fixing some permission issues It's running just like before. however my logout issues are persisting.

I'm not 100% sure but I think when it was freshly installed (before i migrated all my mysql data) i didn't have logout issues...

So seems like there's something wrong with my db but I don't know where to start looking. "starting from scratch" is not really an option. I need these security recordings.

Worst case I guess I could start over clean after saving any recordings i MUST have but that would be a huge pain.