Hardware and feasibilty check (large project)

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
firesky101

Hardware and feasibilty check (large project)

Post by firesky101 »

Hello all,

I have quite a few years experience working with IP camera systems, but I have not yet done something as custom as I am looking at for my next project. I have found zoneminder and it sure looks like what I am looking for. Just need a sanity check.

PC for running ZM:
5950X+B550
128 GB DDR4
6TB HDD x 12
PCIe Sata expansion card
PCIe Network expansion card
GPU (RX 6800?)
Ubuntu

system:
@70 cameras 1080p 10fps 24/7 record
16 cameras 4k 10fps 24/7 record PTZ if I can make it work
4 24 port POE switches

1. Is ZM an acceptable software to run this quantity of cameras and record continuously?
2. Is the hardware I have outlined capable of running this system, or should I go up to a HPDT solution? Probably Threadripper if I do
3. GPU advice is greatly appreciated. I am not running anything more than simple recording for now, but as more options for AI integration appear I may add AI acceleration cards down the line.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
burger

Re: Hardware and feasibilty check (large project)

Post by burger »

I'd think with enough cores, you can run 80+ cameras. I run up to about 30-40 with powerful but not top of the line server hardware (16 cores).

If I was in your situation I'd use record / passthrough on the high res stream and then mocord on the low res stream. This has been discussed
in the forum a number of times. Some folks use something called linked monitors, but there is more than one way to set it up. See: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Gui ... Zoneminder

If you are in dire straits, I think Isaac offers paid support for larger server deployments, so yes one way or another ZM should be able to do what you asked. There is also multi server for even larger deployments, although I haven't worked with it.

1) Yes, ZM can do the job.
2) I'd go with 32 cores for this. Or 2 CPUs, with 24 cores each or something. Or you could run 2 ZM servers distinct (or in multi server). One benefit of ZM is that it scales without any need for licensing nonsense. There's just setup, and familiarity with the software overhead.
3) GPUs aren't generally used in ZM stock. They might be used in ZMES i think, which I'm not familiar with.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Not much to add, but I’d say 100% Isaac would be up for paid consulting on this.

For the DB, I’d look at Maria, rather than MySQL, run on SSD and tune it.

Once you get into ZMES and object detection would be the time to look at GPU and/or TPU. There’s the option of separating some of that, so run on a dedicated box. Plus ongoing work to improve that.
-
firesky101

Post by firesky101 »

Thanks for the replies all. I am going to pull the trigger on this project and reach out to Issac if I hit a wall.
firesky101

Post by firesky101 »

Just an update on the project. It's been quite some time due to a bad fall basically the day I finished this system. On the plus side, she ran for 3-months right out of the gate which was good, as it was quite a bad fall and I had 0 ability to troubleshoot.

The system specs handled what I needed fine. In the end I am running 76 cameras on passthrough record with a pair of 4k, a dozen 1440p and the rest 1080p. Storing 60 days of footage on 72 TB of HDDs. I need to get around to setting them up on a mirror raid since I have the room to spare.

I have had a great experience with zoneminder so far, got some upgrades and projects in mind for the future. Currently it is handling everything I ask of it though.
burger

Post by burger »

If you make sure you run backups regularly (db corruption is always possible) you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Backup instructions here: https://wiki.zoneminder.com/MySQL
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide