Separate Wifi network for cameras

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
lennynpeter

Separate Wifi network for cameras

Post by lennynpeter »

Hello,
I'm kind of new to ZM and have only limited knowledge about Linux in general. With the help of many other post I managed to install ZM running on Debin 11/PC Engines APU4. I only use a few cameras but all traffic is going over my ISP router slowing down everything. Since the APU4 has its own NIC's and Wifi card I would like to connect the cameras directly to the APU's Wifi and use one of the NIC's to connect to the home network for remote access e.g.
So far I managed the firmware installation for the Wifi card and it is up and running. Now I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Do I have to bridge the Wifi with a NIC? Do I need a DHCP server on the APU's Debian. I have tried some setup's, but I'm kind of lost. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Peter
Andyrh

Re: Separate Wifi network for cameras

Post by Andyrh »

You are wanting to use the APU4 as an access point and have the cameras connect to that access point?

You say you do not know much about Linux, but how much do you know about networking? This will involve both. It might be easier to acquire a router and use it to connect the cameras to ZM. In this case the router would not use its WAN port. With this option you could use WiFi or wired from the ZM server.

If you wish to use the ZM server as an AP for the cameras you will need to setup a DHCP server on the ZM server, a new IP range, instructions on how to setup as an AP, and a willingness to learn. No need to bridge the WiFi and NIC. I would build it as a private network and not let the cameras talk to the internet.
Nice to have:
NTP server to keep camera clocks synced.
Andy
o||||o

Ubuntu 22.04
ZM 1.36.33
E5-1650-v4 Xeon
16 GB RAM
6 cameras -> 54 FPS modect
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

lennynpeter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:45 pm Hello,
I'm kind of new to ZM and have only limited knowledge about Linux in general. With the help of many other post I managed to install ZM running on Debin 11/PC Engines APU4. I only use a few cameras but all traffic is going over my ISP router slowing down everything. Since the APU4 has its own NIC's and Wifi card I would like to connect the cameras directly to the APU's Wifi and use one of the NIC's to connect to the home network for remote access e.g.
So far I managed the firmware installation for the Wifi card and it is up and running. Now I'm not quite sure how to proceed. Do I have to bridge the Wifi with a NIC? Do I need a DHCP server on the APU's Debian. I have tried some setup's, but I'm kind of lost. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Best,
Peter
I do not think that using a SBC like you have to be a ZM server and a WIFI access point is a good idea. It just does not have the resources to do a good job for both. Invest in an inexpensive router you can set up as an access point fot your cams and you can plug the APU4 Ethernet into it to keep the traffic off of the home LAN.
lennynpeter

Post by lennynpeter »

Thanks a lot for your replies and recommendations. My networking skills are very basic! I went through several posts on how to setup the wifi card, a DHCP server and bridging the Wifi with a NIC, but couldn't get it to work so far. I was hoping someone has done a similar setup so I could follow instructions and learn at the same time.
About the separate router, I will definitely give it a try.
Best,
Peter