Where to mount cams

Add any particular hints or tricks you have found to help with your ZoneMinder experience.
chuck8530

Where to mount cams

Post by chuck8530 »

Asking for advice - I'm adding 2 Foscam outdoor cameras on a building [39°00'47.4"N 104°42'03.1"W] that is 70' long. We want to watch along the side of the building and the adjoining parking lot which is 180'. So I can mount each camera at opposite corners pointed towards each other. This would put the far end of the parking lot (dumpster) almost out of reach. Or - I can mount them in the middle of the building looking across each other - 35' closer to the dumpster. Or - split the difference, 90' which would put the cameras (if I put them together) about 10' from the end of the building.

OR, am I over thinking the whole project?
dougmccrary

Re: Where to mount cams

Post by dougmccrary »

Given that length, I'd go with center of building. But unless the cams have a wide (90॰) FOV, you'll probably need three, unless you can get by with a dead spot in the middle of the building.
That's what I have for my front yard.
My porch is a bit shorter and I cover that from the ends, pointing toward each other.

Have fun. :wink:
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

The problem with outer corners is that the dead spot allows them to be tampered with.

I like the center mount.

I would go with LOTS of cameras!

Good luck and have fun!
chuck8530

Post by chuck8530 »

[IDIOT - had this reply 90% done, clicked on wrong spot and closed browser &^@%$!!]
So OMT
-------------------
Foscam QJ4 PoE Ultra HD 2K 4MP IP Camera ( a 2fer sale for $110)
Spec. 112deg fov - so mounting 90 deg apart give overlap a few feet out.

Res. 1280 x 720, 1920 x 1080, 2560 x 1440

Specs say IR reaches 66ft. I have them mounted on my garage for testing and, ya, 66ft would be about right. There is an existing camera at the back of the building overlooking the deck and seeing the dumpster, so...

I'm leaning mounting towards the back of the building - middle of parking lot - as if anything untoward is going to happen it will happen at the back of the parking lot and not out by the road.

The server - Beelink SER4 4700U - is sched to arrive tomorrow.