Suggested computer

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
chuck8530

Suggested computer

Post by chuck8530 »

I have need of a Zoneminder system. Our current system is a dedicated video recorder with limited storage space. I have a old desk top - but no room for it. I'd use a Raspberry Pi but I'm not sure it would have enough power. Besides the cost of a Pi4 is right up there with small desktop. Any suggestions for a small desktop - would be headless, sitting in a closet running Linux - ability to sftp etc. Thanks
iconnor

Re: Suggested computer

Post by iconnor »

How many cameras?

One of the other small form factor things might work just as well or better than a PI. The ODROID has interesting options.

Other than that, just about anything will do. SEEED has some interesting boxes that I use to do up to 8 cams.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Odyssey-c-2018.html
Isaac
chuck8530

Post by chuck8530 »

iconnor

Post by iconnor »

CPU is underpowered IMO. So it comes back to how many cameras, which you didn't answer. For recording only, I'm sure it would be fine, but has very limited storage, so you are talking USB or network storage.
chuck8530

Post by chuck8530 »

The current system is a ENVR8304D with 4 cameras. Internal storage means videos never see day 11. No zones detection, no notifications.

https://www.bfcommunityclub.org/Images/ ... /index.php

Two in the main hall, one in the kitchen, and one over the back deck. I plan on adding 2 WiFi solar cams over looking the parking lot. (maybe one to view the front of the building. I plan on using the orig 4 cams as Remote/localhost... just passthru to ZM.
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

Well then I guess it will work.
Ralphred

Post by Ralphred »

chuck8530 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:01 pmOur current system is a dedicated video recorder with limited storage space.
Re-purpose (well, almost) your current system and supplement it with a NAS/DAS (simple under Linux). If it turns out to be "not up to the job" you have a free and "quantifiable" benchmark to work from, and don't have any sunk cost in NAS/DAS, as it's reusable with whatever you replace "Our current system" with.