getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-XXXXXXs.sock does not exist [SOLVED]

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
unbroken

getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-XXXXXXs.sock does not exist [SOLVED]

Post by unbroken »

Ok, I've I run into the infamous error:

Code: Select all

getStreamCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-XXXXXXs.sock does not exist. This file is created by zms, and since it does not exist, either zms did not run, or zms exited early. Please check your zms logs and ensure that CGI is enabled in apache and check that the PATH_ZMS is set correctly. Make sure that ZM is actually recording. If you are trying to view a live stream and the capture process (zmc) is not running then zms will exit. Please go to http://zoneminder.readthedocs.io/en/latest/faq.html#why-can-t-i-see-streamed-images-when-i-can-see-stills-in-the-zone-window-etc for more information. - checkStreamForErrors()
But in my case also stills could not be seen, even if the monitor was working and images correctly saved to disk.
This is my setup:
armhf Asus Tinker Board
Debian 10 (buster)
Zoneminder v1.36.5 from the standart repository

After googling the error I made sure the timezone was right and the path to the cgi-bin folder was right too.
After hours of attemps and debug I compared the output of zms to that of a different PC with Zoneminder and found out that in the broken zms output the first line was causing Apache to throw a 500 internal error. The line is 'Rga built version:7bf9abf'.
This is zms output in the broken zms:

Rga built version:7bf9abf
Server: ZoneMinder Video Server/1.36.5^M
Last-Modified: Sat, 24 Sep 2022 20:44:09 GMT^M
Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1997 05:00:00 GMT^M
Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, must-revalidate^M
Cache-Control: post-check=0, pre-check=0^M
Pragma: no-cache^M
Content-Length: 900^M
Content-Type: image/jpeg^M
... binary data ...
Since I cant recompile Zoneminder (Docker won't install) I got it to work with the following workaround:

1. Create zms.sh in the cgi folder, in my case is /usr/lib/zoneminder/cgi-bin with this content:

#!/bin/bash
./zms | tail -n +2
The script simply removes the first line

2. chmod a+x zms.sh

3. changed ZMS_PATH to point to the script file in zoneminder system conf file, in my case /etc/zm/conf.d/01-system-paths.conf:

ZM_PATH_ZMS=/zm/cgi-bin/zms.sh
And restarted zoneminder.
Finally working!!