My experience: IP Cameras that works with ZoneMnder

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
webdriver

My experience: IP Cameras that works with ZoneMnder

Post by webdriver »

Home use only not business.
I had purchased about 7 - 8 different type IP Cameras, some are working really good with ZM, some are not. Here are my comments

Work stable & best fit: 2 POE Camera 2MP at 1080P, made in China (4 - 5 years in service), ZM detection works well and sometimes too sensitive to capture false alarm.

Work relatively stable & middle fit: 2 wireless IP camera, one 1080p with PTZ, one 720p non-PTZ. Wifi sometimes drops but most of time good. ZM detection works well.

Not working: 2 Wyze Cam V3 (with RTSP fw). Well they're the latest I purchased this year in hope to use their enhanced color night vision. However the RTSP stream is really not suitable for ZM to do detection/recording. By default it has built-in object detection and whenever people/car passing through the camera will show the green rectangle. However I don't know if ZM can directly use that as trigger. Back to its not-so-great RTSP stream, it shows the live view but it often became blurry or you can see visible shaking between 2 frames -- not sure if it's intended to not gives you good video as their in-app live view are much clear/stable. :-(

Conclusion: the best always be wired high res cameras, then name-brand wifi ipcam (full HD is enough), not recommend anything doesn't offer stable stream.

Last word: don't get yourself in trouble buying cheaply made non-brand wifi cameras, although you can get some stable/clear live view via their app, but make them work with ZM is really troublesome, from my experience (3 cameras) they generate lots of blank/bands all over screen that give nothing for video surveiliance purpose.
tinymouse

Re: My experience: IP Cameras that works with ZoneMnder

Post by tinymouse »

What brand/make are the 2mp POE cameras you have?