Streaming to Twitch, Youtube or some other live streaming service

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
ktt

Streaming to Twitch, Youtube or some other live streaming service

Post by ktt »

I'm administrating Zoneminder in local animal shelter. It is used to monitor certain animal cages. Every now and then, we would like to stream some of these video feeds to public using e.g. Twitch or Youtube. This is for example when we have kittens or fox puppies which we like to show to public audience. On those occassions, I have disconnected these cameras from Zoneminder and performed the streaming separately.

Anyway, this is not very practical, as animal shelter's own personnel can't make these changes. They know how to move cameras between cages and how to adjust the camera picture through Zoneminder monitor, so if there would be a button "stream this feed to channel #01", they could make also the streaming changes themselves.

So, what do you think, would it be possible to have a streaming plug-in, which could stream selected monitor feed to some streaming service?
iconnor

Re: Streaming to Twitch, Youtube or some other live streaming service

Post by iconnor »

I think it would be awesome. We need someone to fund it though.
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Maybe I misunderstand what you said, but:
I wonder if it’s really necessary to disconnect the camera from ZM. Many cameras can support multiple connections. Have you tried just connecting the camera to whatever service without respect to ZM?
burger

Post by burger »

You can always just embed the stream in a webpage. I don't know how many viewers ZM can handle (i.e. if you have 100's of people.). Maybe something like OBS would be better suited for it. There are notes on setting up a website here:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/External_Li ... eams_(API)
I see some guides online that refer to streaming to twitch from OBS, so what you are saying is not to difficult / possible outside of ZM. But of course it could be easier to use with ZM if someone funds it.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
ethanfriedy

Post by ethanfriedy »

Strigoi wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:44 pm Having a streaming plug-in would definitely make things easier for everyone involved. This way, they can focus on taking care of the animals while also sharing the joy with the public effortlessly. I'm not sure about specific plug-ins for Zoneminder, but there are general streaming platforms like Twitch and YouTube that offer APIs or tools toOgInstagram It might be worth exploring those.
Plug-in use is a good idea to use Live streaming service with Zoneminder. but the most easiest way is to directly embed the live stream in a webpage, as also mentioned but "burger".