Out of memory: Killed process

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
Pembrae

Out of memory: Killed process

Post by Pembrae »

Due to a disk failure I had to rebuild my ZoneMinder server. Since the rebuild the server fails everyday or so and displays several messages along the lines of:

[xxxxxx.yyyyyy] Out of memory: Killed process zzzzz (zmc) total-vm:aaaaaaakB, anon-rss:bbbbbbbkB, file-rss:cccckB, shem-rss:dddddkB, UID:33 pgtables:eeeek/b oom_score_adj:0

I have attached a screen image. I have also attached a screenshot of my memory usage while the server is running normally in case that is any help.

Previous server ran without problems and the current setup is no different to the last as far as I can recall. The only thing I can think of is that I can defined a few more zones on one of the cameras but that is about it. The response of ZoneMinder is more sluggish and so far I have been unable to load the log file with it stuck saying "loading, please wait".

I don't know if it has any effect but the new ZoneMinder build is recording to the same data disk I used previously but I haven't bothered clearing the old data of that disk yet.

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
ZoneMinder v1.36.12
2 Cameras
4 Monitors, 2 as Mocord at 640x480 triggering 2 as Nodect at 1920x1080
Attachments
Screenshot of memory usage
Screenshot of memory usage
Screenshot (2).png (191.57 KiB) Viewed 4333 times
Image of memory error messages
Image of memory error messages
IMG_1776.jpg (65.16 KiB) Viewed 4334 times
Magic919

Re: Out of memory: Killed process

Post by Magic919 »

Have you restored the database from a backup or have you configured the monitors from scratch? Would be worth checking you are no storing JPEGs and also not decode where there is no need.

Beyond that would be camera changes and I'll assume you haven't touched those.
-
Pembrae

Post by Pembrae »

I have configured the monitors from scratch and haven't done anything with the camera settings. How do I check if I am storing JPEGs or doing unnecessary decoding?
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Storage page for each monitor
Pembrae

Post by Pembrae »

Thanks. I have inhibited the storage of JPEGs and the server has run for several days now without incident.
joostdejonge

Post by joostdejonge »

@Pembrae, I have the exact same problem. Can you perhaps explain what you did to fix it, the explanation is not clear to me... thanks!
Magic919

Post by Magic919 »

Under Storage for each Monitor. Save JPEGs, set to Disabled.
-
joostdejonge

Post by joostdejonge »

Thanks.

I will give it a try.

The strange thing is that it worked for a long time without problems, but after reinstalling every thing (including Linux), problems started...