noob: recording on raspberry

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
FiveAces

noob: recording on raspberry

Post by FiveAces »

Hi,
I got v.1.36.12 running now on a RPI4 with USB3 hard disk and a reolink RLC-522 5MP Camera.
It is working in monitoring mode. I get 5.6fps. In the config I did not limit max fps. The load is 1.3 The image scaled 0.5 when viewing.

Now I wanted to test recording. So I switch to record (no analysis, no decoding- I am not sure what exactly that means).
fps goes down to 2.7fps. Load is at 2.2. and I get a masive number of warnings (1000s/min):

"Found locked packet when trying to free up video packets. This basically means that decoding is not kkeping up."
and
You have set the max video packets in the queue to 20. The queue is full. Either Analysis is not keeping up or your camera's keyframe interval is larger than this setting.not keeping up."
I cannot find the setting for max video packets.

Funny thing, too: I get events with a rate between 30s and 2mins. I thought I get events only by analysis. If I go to display the cam image I find the list of events. If I click on one of them I get a black image: "Video could not be loaded, either because the server or the network failed or the format is not supported". Zm saves this video as mp4 with a size of 3k.

Why do I get events? How do I setup a proper data flow. e. g. the on with least flow?
What is a reasonable setting? Can raspberry cope with this task?

Sorry, for the noobish questions. I tried the documentation but the concepts of data flow is still fuzzy to me.
Magic919

Re: noob: recording on raspberry

Post by Magic919 »

You might be asking too much of the Pi. I've never used one for ZM.

It doesn't sound like it's actually just recording, even though you've told it to.

Buffers - Maximum Image Buffer Size (frames) is what you are looking for. This needs to exceed the camera keyframe interval for it to work.
-
kitkat

Re: noob: recording on raspberry

Post by kitkat »

I don't know how things are set up there but you'll probably want to set the Video Writer to Camera Passthrough to avoid decoding/encoding the video stream and use a separate low-resolution stream for any detection or analysis, triggering a higher-resolution stream to record any events.

Also check the framerate in the camera and perhaps reduce it if necessary, rather than using the Max FPS setting in ZM.