nest.com cam no connection

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
truderinger

nest.com cam no connection

Post by truderinger »

Hello,
I use four cams via the nest.com cloud. I can directly access the camera through an internet browser. The link then looks like this:
https://video.nest.embedded/live/xxxxxx
Unfortunately I don't get a connection. Has anyone dealt with the Nestcam problem?

Thanks for an info.

best regards Herbert
truderinger

Re: nest.com cam no connection

Post by truderinger »

Hi,

I've come a little closer to my goal. Since the official browser stream could not be played in e.g. VLC either, I found a website that gave the actual address of the stream. This is "https://www.ispyconnect.com/userguide-nest.aspx". With this link I can now play the stream directly in VLC.

So I copy the stream link and enter it under ZM under Source. Target TCP-24bitColor-480x394. Before that, however, under General FFmpeg and Monitor. Voila, I can see the camera in ZM. Now I'm still trying to include this for Kodi with a ZM client.

best regards
truderinger

Post by truderinger »

Hallo,

after long attempts with the registration problems from kodi 18.6 with the zm-addon, in Apache2 (zm / cgi-bin) I have now updated to Zoneminder 1.34 with API.2 out of desperation. Just changed the API in the addon to "2" and it works.

Zoneminder can be accessed directly via a browser, but no streams are displayed (Cams offline).
I think these are minor blemishes that need to be fixed.

best regards
gunfus

Post by gunfus »

Has anyone tried this?

https://den.dev/blog/nest/
twinpinespro

Post by twinpinespro »

reviving this thread.

I was able to get my google nestcam to show up in zoneminder but the stream is not perfectly synced to time. also the stream drops and reconnects often. it speeds up and slows down somewhat. Wondering if anyone else is monitoring nestcams with zoneminder and can point me in a better direction.

Background: I am new to zoneminder. I have limited experience with video streaming but a lot of experience with computer systems in general. So I might get some terms wrong and obviously my setup is not perfect as it routinely drops and reconnects soon after. My understanding is nestcam public URLs transmit video streams in HLS format, which chops up an MPEG4 stream into chunks of "mycamerachunk.ts" files say 3 seconds or 6 seconds or 10 seconds or whatever. You access the ".ts" files via HTTPS by reading a text manifest file named "playlist.m3u8" which is always changing, constantly updated with the direct HTTPS urls to the newest "ts" files. so the m3u8 file is always changing and new chunk.ts files are becoming available constantly.

Method: ffmpeg pulls the HLS "ts" chunk files from home.nest.com, translates to rtsp, and outputs to a newly installed rtsp-server. Then, zoneminder uses ffmpeg to pull the nestcam stream (now converted from HLS to rtsp) from the rtsp-server.

Interesting: ffmpeg DOES support HLS streams as input and zoneminder DOES integrate with ffmpeg, so I am wondering if there is a way for a zoneminder monitor to connect to a playlist.m3u8 and output/re-encode to h264 or if there is a way to skip the rtsp-server step.

Requirements: a linux machine (I used ubuntu), unix admin experience, and about a half a day of free time

Privacy: my nestcam shows up at home.nest.com and points to the street and front yard so I am OK making it publicly viewable.
  • in the camera settings at home.nest.com enable public sharing without a password
  • setup rtsp-server as a systemd service with ARGS="--client_listen_address 127.0.0.1 --source_listen_address 127.0.0.1 --serverport 554 --clientport 5545"
  • on your unix box, if you don't already have fmpeg v6.6 (todays stable version) download and compile ffmpeg with ssl enabled in the configure step
  • setup ffmpeg as a systemd service with ARGS="-re -r 10 -an -i \" https://xxxxxxplaylist.m3u8?public=YYYYY\" -f rtsp -rtsp_transport udp \"rtsp://localhost:5545/mynestcam\"" to input the nestcam HLS stream and output in rtsp format to rtsp-server
  • add a zoneminder monitor sourcetype=ffmpeg source=rtsp://localhost:554/mynestcam method=UDP