Brain storm....

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
ghostwolf59

Brain storm....

Post by ghostwolf59 »

Hi,
First of all, Im new to security cameras - so try to keep that in mind...

Had a thought today based on the following assumption...
1. House *inside and out fitted with x number of cameras covering the internal and external premises*
2. About to leave the house and want a quick easy way to alarm some or all of the cameras as I leave the house *like a touch pad type what traditional house alarms*

Q1. Would a touch wifi solution activation control pad be a stupid idea as a mean to replace traditional movement security within a house be a stupid idea?
Q2. Is something similar (open source solution) to what I outlined already available ?

Can sort of see this as a product where the pad could be setup to activate zones i.e cameras for pre programmed set times/days/months

Forget the mobile solution for now - this is simply a way to arm if/when you need it?

Dumb idea? or....?
burger

Re: Adjust Zones or Runstates with Hardware

Post by burger »

I've implemented this with an Arduino Mega, ENC28J60 module, and some switches. If I was to do it again, I'd use an ARM based board (was some issues with the TCP/IP library, and encryption / memory management).

Because I had 20+ cameras, managing run states ended up being too much added complexity. it might work if you have only a handful of cameras.

I had run states being changed by TCP client requests to the API. An ARM board would be easier. Just curl to the API.

There may already be a mobile phone solution on the forum already. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26805
Search around.
fastest way to test streams:
ffmpeg -i rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path ./output.mp4 (if terminal only)
ffplay rtsp://<user>:<pass>@<ipaddress>:554/path (gui)
find paths on ispydb or in zm hcl

If you are new to security software, read:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Dummies_Guide
ghostwolf59

Re: Adjust Zones or Runstates with Hardware

Post by ghostwolf59 »

burger wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:25 pm I've implemented this with an Arduino Mega, ENC28J60 module, and some switches. If I was to do it again, I'd use an ARM based board (was some issues with the TCP/IP library, and encryption / memory management).

Because I had 20+ cameras, managing run states ended up being too much added complexity. it might work if you have only a handful of cameras.

I had run states being changed by TCP client requests to the API. An ARM board would be easier. Just curl to the API.

There may already be a mobile phone solution on the forum already. Here's one: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26805
Search around.
Interesting - Im not the only one thinking along these lines then ;)
Perfect solution would have been a touch pad you could plonk on the wall next to your exit door, but I most likely dreaming for such a solution ;)