Does ZM work on a Raspberry Pi 3?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
Microchip

Does ZM work on a Raspberry Pi 3?

Post by Microchip »

Hello!
Excuse me for my English.

I'm testing ZoneMinder and other similar software to figure out which one to use.
Each has its own pros and cons and Zoneminder seems to me to be one of the best.
However, he has a very limiting problem that would lead me to exclude it, unless I'm wrong, so I'm trying to understand.

I installed ZoneMinder on a Raspberry 3, currently with only one cam.

Without recording anything, after some time of activity:
1) the cam goes offline
2) slows down excessively or even freezes the raspberry
3) obviously if I make the registration it becomes very slow

The software is good, but on raspberry (where I need to put it) it seems unusable.

Did I do something wrong or does it work this way?

Thanks!
snake

Re: Does ZM work on a Raspberry Pi 3?

Post by snake »

Lower FPS and / or lower resolution of camera

Further Info: wiki.zoneminder.com/Single_Board_Computers
Microchip

Post by Microchip »

I disabled log.
I already set Capture Resolution (pixels) to 640*480

But where should I set the FPS?
In General I set nothing:
snake

Post by snake »

Resolution and FPS are set on camera webpage.

Don't set Max FPS in Zoneminder (exception is local cameras - i.e. webcams).
Bluemax

Post by Bluemax »

Depends on the camera. Usually, 640x480 should be no problem for a RPi3 if its h264 pass-through. Capturing from analog camera might be a different number.
Also, try to avoid using the RPi as client directly (desktop browser/event viewing). This is a very powerful process (JPEG streaming presentation) and should be better outsourced to another system (desktop/mobile).
Microchip

Post by Microchip »

I have a raspberry pi 3 with a 7 '' touch display: the intent was to also use it as a client, otherwise I have not solved anything.
I had thought of using it only as a client if anything, but ZM does not exist for Windows (like a PC always on at house) and certainly I do not put a virtual machine on it.

I believe ZM may have been the best choice, but not for a solution with Raspberry.
Microchip

Post by Microchip »

Bluemax wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:44 pm Also, try to avoid using the RPi as client directly (desktop browser/event viewing). This is a very powerful process (JPEG streaming presentation) and should be better outsourced to another system (desktop/mobile).
I want to confirm that not using raspberry as a client works better.
It doesn't solve my problem, but it's a step forward.
snake

Post by snake »

Just so we don't confuse anyone, by not using ZM as a client, I believe you two are referring to running X on an RPI.

There is another way of using ZM as a client, which entails watching a video stream running by a ZM server where the RPI only connects into the ZM server but is not the server. That should still work well for an RPI. Similar to this post: https://zoneminder.blogspot.com/p/odroid where an odroid is used.
Microchip

Post by Microchip »

snake wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:54 pm Just so we don't confuse anyone, by not using ZM as a client, I believe you two are referring to running X on an RPI.
I make a summary (excuse for my English):
I have installed ZM on a Raspberry Pi 3 (Raspbian).
Then I visualize on its screen, through Chromium, the video camera (at the moment it is one, but they will become two).
However, even without active recordings, after a while the camera is offline or the Raspberry Pi crashes.

Since I keep the browser closed (I don't see the camera), but I only see the X desktop empty, I have not had any problems.
But obviously I can't use that "hanging on the wall" system at home to see the two cameras as I would have liked.
In addition to the fact, that so the touch display would be wasted.

Other ZM competitor software instead works without problems simultaneously with both the client and the server on the same Raspberry, but ZM seemed to me the best in the various tests that I am doing.
I'm trying to decide whether to keep it and find a solution (if there is one) or to change software. I'm still in the testing phase.
magarity

Post by magarity »

Microchip wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:41 pm But where should I set the FPS?
In General I set nothing:
please try those FPS settings at 5 or 6