System freeze using /dev/videoX device

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.34.x releases only.
alex_

System freeze using /dev/videoX device

Post by alex_ »

Hi,
I can not use an usb video grabber available via /dev/videoX in Ubuntu 16.04 or 18.04 with zm.
Problem: Permission denied in the log, and when I add the www-data user to the video group to grant permission the system freezes complete...
Power cycle is needed...
I tested with diverent ubuntu LTS versions and differnet zm verisons and all have this problem:
ubuntu 16.04 - zm 1.32
ubuntu 18.04 - zm 1.32
ubuntu 18.04 - zm 1.34

I can view the input of the /dev/videoX device using VLC without any problems...
and all other cams work perfect with zm...

So, I found nothing topics for this issue... and i can not imagne that I am the only one with this problem... :?

Does anyone have a hint/solution for this issue?

Thanx a lot

Regards
Alex
bbunge

Re: System freeze using /dev/videoX device

Post by bbunge »

As a check I popped a Logitech USB cam into my test server running Ubuntu 20.04 and Zoneminder 1.34.6. Camera showed as /dev/video0 and worked the first try.

You did add: adduser www-data video

You are using Source Type Local and the correct Capture Resolution? Don't assume the resolution used is correct for Zoneminder! Since you can get VLC to view the stream Use VLC (Tools, Media Information, Codec) to check camera Display Resolution.
alex_

Re: System freeze using /dev/videoX device

Post by alex_ »

Hi,
I already added the www-data user to the video group.
I use the capture resolution checkt with vlc.
The source type is local.

The system freezes immediately startig/restarting zm if my cam is added as local and the www-data user is added to video group.