Chinese camera question

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
donb21

Chinese camera question

Post by donb21 »

I understand the Chinese built cameras (Hikvision , Dahua, Huawei, ZTE, etc.) that were banned in government offices have been reconciled here. Can someone point me to some discussion threads on it?

Don
mikb

Re: Chinese camera question

Post by mikb »

Not sure what you mean by "reconciled here", the only thread I can recall is this one, if it helps! :-

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=28307&p=110557&hil ... ei#p110557
donb21

Post by donb21 »

While searching, I saw a comment that implied the security concerns of Chinese camera's have been discussed/debated extensively. They implied the subject had been put to rest and I could simply google for the conclusions; no such luck, so, here I am. I thought the comment was in a ZM wiki, but just searched again, and haven't found it.

I saw the link you mentioned, but it was slim on details. Has it been discussed here?

Don
shahmir_k

Post by shahmir_k »

I for one am of the mind that there are backdoors and security exploits present in the cameras. Not saying maliciously even, its just as likely to come up because of bad designs.

Once I've set up my cameras and got them working locally over ethernet, I go into my router and set static IP's for each camera and then block that camera from accessing the internet through the firewall. This means that the camera can still talk to everything on the local network, like zoneminder, but is unable to transmit any information out to the internet.

Hope this helps