FFMPEG tries to use H264_MMAL Codec

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.32.x releases only.
kwambs

FFMPEG tries to use H264_MMAL Codec

Post by kwambs »

Hi,

I have research this for days and have not been able to resolve it.

My previous system was ZoneMinder 1.29 built from source.
It worked well, until ZM Ninja decided to pgrade and would no longer work plus I needed to update from SUSE Leap 13.2 to Leap 15.1.
This time I decided to use SUSE Leap 15.1 repository for ZoneMinder 1.32.3.

uname -a
Linux wambs-server 4.12.14-lp151.28.36-default #1 SMP Fri Dec 6 13:50:27 UTC 2019 (8f4a495) x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

I can use FFMPEG from the command line to stream to a series of jpegs and it seems to work fine.
ffmpeg -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://admin:mypasswd@192.168.0.180:824/Streaming/Channels/1 video%.jpg

However, when I select FFMPEG as the Source type in ZoneMinder, I get an error that the H264_MMAL Codec could not be found.

In the FFMPEG list of Codecs, MMAL of course is not listed, because MMAL is for Raspberry Pi. I don't have a Raspberry Pi.
I have a Asus x86_64 base system.
Some ZoneMinder settings are:
- PATH_FFMPEG: /usr/bin/ffmpeg
- FFMPEG_INPUT_OPTIONS: -rtsp_transport tcp -c h264 , also tried -rtsp_transport tcp
- FFMPEG_OUTPUT_OPTIONS is empty

If I set the source type to Libvlc, it sorta works, but the colors are all wrong, blue is red, red is blue for example.

So, does anyone know why ZoneMinder is instructing FFMPEG is use this H264_MMAL Codec?
I'm out of ideas.

Thanks,
Kevin
iconnor

Re: FFMPEG tries to use H264_MMAL Codec

Post by iconnor »

That message should just be a warning, the capture should still work.

In fact, upon looking at the code, it is a debug level log statement....
kwambs

Post by kwambs »

Hi,

I was able to fix my Ffmpeg issue. I had tried two version 3.4 and 4.2, neither work in Zoneminder.

So, I remove both and as much of the supporting libs as I could, without removing zoneminder itself.
I reinstalled ffmpeg 3.4, and during installation there was a vendor change request to PackMan for supporting files.
So, I set all packages to come from Packman, and ffmpeg now works.

So, the lesson learn make sure you get ffmpeg and as much of the supporting libs from the same repository/source.
I think I had incompatible libs with ffmpeg.

You check the libs a executable uses by using the ldd command. For example, ldd ffmpeg will display the libs it uses.

Kevin
kwambs

Re: FFMPEG tries to use H264_MMAL Codec - Solved

Post by kwambs »

Solved
JasinSwift

Post by JasinSwift »

"I need a jpeg encoder. I know about the pic jpg decoder, but I need an encoder. Is this doable? has this been done? is there a codebase? Should I use special services as Fastvideo company provides?